Russell at the New York Fashion Week, 2014.
|Born||June 14, 1987|
Cambridge, Massachusetts, U.S.
|Alma mater||Columbia University|
|Height||1.74 m (5 ft 8 1⁄2 in)|
Cameron Russell (born June 14, 1987) is an American fashion model and activist. Born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, she graduated from Columbia University with majors in Economics and Political science. Russell began modeling as a part-time profession in 2003.
Russell was initially signed up by the Ford Models, but she later switched to DNA Model Management in 2006, and eventually the Elite Model Management in 2011. Since her debut as a model, she has walked at fashion shows for designers and fashion houses including Chanel, Versace, Prada, Vivienne Westwood, Victoria's Secret, Diane von Fürstenberg and Louis Vuitton among others.
Russell has appeared in photoshoots for American and European fashion magazines like Vogue, Numéro, and W. She is an active endorser and is associated with brands including Calvin Klein, Armani, Louis Vuitton, and Benetton. Russell delivered a TED talk in October 2012, entitled "Looks aren't Everything. Believe me, I'm a Model", which went on to become one of the most popular speeches ever given at a TED conference.
Early life and education
Cameron Russell was born and raised in Cambridge. Her mother is Robin Chase, founder of Zipcar. Her father is an engineer and CEO of the now defunct GoLoco, a car-pooling and social networking company.
Russell displayed an interest in politics at an early age, friends of hers who had worked on the Clinton Presidential election campaign arranged a meeting on June 5, 1998 (when she was 10) with Bill Clinton after he delivered a speech at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. She graduated from the Commonwealth School in 2005.
She briefly attended Wellesley College in Wellesley, Massachusetts, her mother's alma mater, before transferring to Columbia University after her freshman year. She majored in economics and political science. Russell graduated from Columbia University with honors in 2013.
Russell's mother had a friend who worked at Ford Models agency, and Russell decided to sign with that agency in 2003. She later moved on to DNA Model Management in 2006, switched to Women Management in 2008, and then moved to Elite Model Management in 2011. In 2017, she joined the boutique agency The Lions
Since beginning her modeling career part-time at the age of 16, Russell has worked with numerous successful photographers including Steven Meisel, Craig McDean, and Nick Knight among others, in such magazines as American, French, Italian, Spanish, German and Japanese Vogue, W, Self Service and Numéro. She has featured in advertising campaigns for companies including Ann Taylor, Benetton, Louis Vuitton, Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein, Armani, Oscar de la Renta, and Yves Saint Laurent.
Russell has featured in runway fashion shows for designers including Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Prada, Dolce & Gabbana, Marc Jacobs, Versace, Vivienne Westwood, Ralph Lauren, Victoria's Secret, and Diane von Fürstenberg.
In October of 2017, Russell contributed to the #MeToo campaign by reaching out to other models, colleagues, and friends, asking for their personal experiences with harassment and exploitation. She used her platform on her Instagram to anonymously post their testimonies in an attempt to bring further awareness to the sexual harassment many face but never speak up about. Russell has 125,000 followers on Instagram.
- "Cameron Russell". fashionmodeldirectory.com. Retrieved December 16, 2012.
- "Cameron's Portfolio". www.ouimanagement.com. Archived from the original on October 22, 2014. Retrieved December 16, 2012.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1bb73hy4cA&feature=player_embedded [around the 6:35 mark]
- Mulkerrins, Jane (October 14, 2013). "Fashion shoots". The Daily Telegraph. London. Archived from the original on November 2, 2013.
- Russell, Cameron (February 18, 2013). "@MrTruthMan ha! I really did :) My favorite book in 4th or 5th grade was neustadt's presidential power". Twitter.
- Russell, Cameron (February 18, 2013). "@MrTruthMan told enuf ppl I wanted to be president, eventually met & told an old Clinton staffer who took me backstage when he spoke at MIT". Twitter.
- Shanahan, Mark (November 11, 2011). "Cameron hits the catwalk". The Boston Globe.
- Model's Frank Talk Goes Viral (video). CNN. 2013. Event occurs at 3:39. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- "Cameron Russell". New York Magazine.
- "Now Representing". Elite Model Management. Archived from the original on October 26, 2017. Retrieved December 16, 2012.
- "Cameron Russell". Style.com. Archived from the original on July 4, 2014.
- "Cameron Russell (@cameronrussell) • Instagram photos and videos". www.instagram.com. Retrieved March 26, 2019.
- Klerk, Amy de (October 13, 2017). "Model Cameron Russell shares horror stories of sexual harassment in the fashion industry". Harper's BAZAAR. Retrieved March 26, 2019.
- "La emoción de la modelo activista Cameron Russell al confirmar que está embarazada". Hola. November 15, 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cameron Russell.|
- Cameron Russell photos at Style.com (archived at the Wayback Machine)
- Cameron Russell at Fashion Model Directory
- Cameron Russell on Models.com
- Cameron Russell at NYmag.com
- Cameron Russell interview on Pony Ryder
- Looks aren't everything. Believe me, I'm a model. TEDxMidAtlantic October 2012