Camille A. Brown
|Camille A. Brown|
|Education||LaGuardia High School, The Ailey School, University of North Carolina|
|Occupation||Dancer, Choreographer, Director|
|Awards||Bessie Award for Outstanding Production;
International Association of Blacks in Dance Founders Award;
Princess Grace Award (Choreography);
Camille A. Brown is a dancer, choreographer, director and dance educator. Camille started her career as a dancer in Ronald K. Brown’s Evidence, A Dance Company, and was a guest artist with Rennie Harris Puremovement, and Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater (2008 and 2011). She continued on to start her own dance company, Camille A. Brown & Dancers, and has congruently choreographed commissioned pieces for many notable dance companies, Broadway shows, and universities. She has also taught at various universities such as Long Island University, Barnard College and ACDFA (University of Akron), among others.
As a child, Brown trained at The Bernice Johnson Dance Center and The Carolyn DeVore Dance Center. She continued her training in high school at Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and the Performing Arts while simultaneously attending The Ailey School on scholarship. Brown earned a B.F.A. from the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and went on to dance as a member of Ronald K. Brown’s Evidence, A Dance Company, and was a guest artist with Rennie Harris Puremovement, and Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater.
Camille A. Brown & Dancers
Brown has created works such as Mr. TOL E. RAncE, City of Rain, Good & Grown, and The Groove to Nobody’s Business, among others. The company has performed these works in many venues both nationally and internationally, including The Joyce Theater, Jacob’s Pillow Dance Festival, Bates Dance Festival, and Fire Island Dance Festival. The company is known for high theatricality, gutsy moves and virtuosic musicality. Along with, exploring typical, real life situations ranging from literal relationships to more complex themes with an eye on the past and present. The company also incorporates dialogue with audiences and students about social issues and the meaning behind the performance through talkbacks, residencies and educational outreach.
Informed by her music background as a clarinetist, Brown creates choreography that utilizes musical composition as storytelling. Dance companies that have commissioned her work include: Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, Philadanco, Urban Bush Women, Complexions, Ailey II, and Ballet Memphis. Her works have been performed at The Kennedy Center, The Apollo, Brooklyn Academy of Music, Madison Square Garden, and New York City Center. She also was the choreographer for Saverio Palatella's line, Wholegarment 3D, for New York Fashion Week in 2008.
- 2014 The Fortress of Solitude (The Public Theater)
- 2013 MR. TOL. E RAncE (Camille A. Brown & Dancers)
- 2013 William Shakespeare’s The Winter’s Tale (Director Rebecca Taichman)
- 2012 Soul Doctor – The Musical (Director Daniel Wise)
- 2012 A Streetcar Named Desire (Director Emily Mann)
- 2012 Fortress of Solitude (Director Daniel Aukin)
- 2012 HOUSE (Director Saheem Ali)
- 2012 Pins & Needles: FUREE (Director Ken Rus Schmoll)
- 2012 Bind (The Juilliard School)
- 2012 Memories (Complexions Contemporary Ballet)
- 2012 The Evolution of a Secured Feminine Nancy Wilson Tribute Ailey Citigroup Theater
- 2012 One Second Past the Future (Camille A. Brown & Dancers)
- 2012 Strum (Toni Pierce Sands and Uri Sands Dance (TU Dance))
- 2010 The Evolution of a Secured Feminine (Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater)
- 2010 By Way of East (Kyle Abraham & Camille A. Brown)
- 2010 City of Rain (Camille A. Brown & Dancers)
- 2010 Been There, Done That (Camille A. Brown & Dancers)
- 2010 Our Honeymoon Is Over (Dallas Black Dance Theater)
- 2009 Those Who See Light (Philadelphia Dance Company – Philadanco!)
- 2009 Good Times, Ha! (The Youth American Grand Prix)
- 2009 The Blues On Beale (Ballet Memphis)
- 2009 The Groove To Nobody’s Business (Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater)
- 2008 Matchstick (Camille A. Brown & Dancers)
- 2008 Un Festin Divin (Ballet Memphis)
- 2008 Saverio Palatella’s line – Wholegarment 3D (New York Fashion Week)
- 2007 The Groove To Nobody’s Business (Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater)
- 2007 Here We Go…Again?! (Urban Bush Women)
- 2007 The Evolution of a Secured Feminine (Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater)
- 2006 More Time Than Anybody (Camille A. Brown & Dancers)
- 2006 New Second Line (Reflections Dance Company)
- 2006 Afro Blue (Reflections Dance Company)
- 2005 Nahum (Ailey II)
- 2005 Shelter of Presence (Camille A. Brown)
- 2005 More Time Than Anybody (Camille A. Brown & Dancers)
- 2004 Demetia’s Serenity (Camille A. Brown)
- 2002 Awakened in Slumber (Hubbard Street 2)
- 2014 Bessie Award – Outstanding Performance – MR. TOL. E RAncE
- 2013 The Founder’s Award – International Association of Blacks in Dance (IABD)
- 2012 Mariam McGlone Emerging Choreographer Award (Wesleyan University); The New York City College Women and Culture Award; USA Artist Award Nomination
- 2011 Bessie Nomination – Outstanding Performance – The Evolution of A Secured Feminine
- 2006 Best Choreography Nomination – Black Theater Arts Alliance – The Groove To Nobody’s Business – Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, USA Artist Award Nomination
- 2006 Princess Grace Award – Choreography; Project Next Generation Award – Urban Bush Women
- 1997 Presidential Scholar of the Arts Award – Dance Performance; Young Artist’s Award – Performance; The Helen Tamiris Award – Performance
- Brown, Camille (2013). "Camille A. Brown Resume" (PDF). Camille A. Brown & Dancers. Retrieved 2013-07-23.
- TED Staff. "Meet the 2015 class of TED Fellows and Senior Fellows". TED (conference)s, LLC. Retrieved 4 Feb 2015.
- Brown, Camille (2013). "The Company". Camille A. Brown & Dancers. Retrieved 2013-07-23.
- Brown, Camille (2013). "Artistic Director & Choreographer". Camille A. Brown & Dancers. Retrieved 2013-07-23.