Camillo M. Gonsalves
|Permanent Representative to the United Nations for Saint Vincent and the Grenadines|
November 2007 – September 2013
|Preceded by||Margaret Hughes-Ferrari|
12 June 1972 |
Camillo M. Gonsalves (born 12 June 1972) is a Vincentian politician, lawyer and diplomat, He was Saint Vincent and the Grenadines' Permanent Representative to the United Nations from 2007 until 2013, and went on to be appointed a member of the House of Assembly. He is the son of Ralph Gonsalves, current Prime Minister of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines and Professor of Psychology at Stockton University, Sonia V. Gonsalves.
Early life and career
Gonsalves was born in Philadelphia, the son of Ralph Gonsalves and his Jamaican wife Sonia Gonsalves. He studied and began his career in the United States. He obtained a Bachelor of Arts degree in Journalism from Temple University in Philadelphia, where he worked as a journalist, and then a Juris Doctor from George Washington University Law School in Washington DC. In Washington D.C., he worked as a corporate litigation attorney. He also has a Master of Science degree in Global Affairs from New York University.
In the Vincentian government
Gonsalves subsequently worked as the Senior Crown Counsel for the government of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, before being appointed to diplomatic postings "in various capacities in Cuba, Venezuela, Ethiopia, South Korea, Libya and throughout the CARICOM region".
In November 2007, he became Saint Vincent and the Grenadines' Permanent Representative to the United Nations, replacing Ambassador Margaret Hughes-Ferrari. He became Minister of Foreign Affairs in September 2013.
In September 2013, he was appointed a Senator in the House of Assembly, and renounced his U.S. citizenship prior to taking up the position. In November 2017 he took on the responsibility of the finance ministry, a portfolio his father had held since 2001.
- "Sen. Gonsalves says he renounced his American citizenship ahead of appointment to SVG Parliament". I-Witness News. 2014-03-06. Retrieved 2014-03-07.
- "Camillo Gonsalves". Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Permanent Mission to the United Nations. Archived from the original on 2011-07-25. Retrieved 2014-03-07.
- "Ambassador Camillo Gonsalves Presents His Credentials to Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon", Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Permanent Mission to the United Nations, November 6, 2007
- "St Vincent's ambassador reports on first month at UN", NBC Radio, December 17, 2007
- "St Vincent PM promotes son to finance minister". WIC News. 14 November 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Camillo Gonsalves.|