Camouflage (Rod Stewart album)
|Studio album by Rod Stewart|
|Released||18 June 1984|
|Recorded||Late Winter, Early Spring, 1984|
|Genre||Rock, pop rock|
|Producer||Michael Omartian, (except "Bad for You" - Rod Stewart)|
|Rod Stewart chronology|
Camouflage is a studio album released by Rod Stewart on 18 June 1984 (see 1984 in music). It was Stewart’s 13th studio album and was released on Warner Bros. Records (WEA 925 095-1). Three singles came from this album. They were "Infatuation", "Some Guys Have All the Luck", and a cover of the Free hit "All Right Now". The album marked a reunion of sorts between Stewart and Jeff Beck, who plays guitar on several tracks, as the two had been members of the influential 1960s group The Jeff Beck Group.
All the tracks were recorded at Lion Share Studio in Los Angeles, CA. Grammy award-winning producer Michael Omartian produced all the songs except "Bad for You", which was self-produced by Rod. In the liner notes, a disclaimer alludes to a reason behind this.
|The Rolling Stone Album Guide|||
The album received similar reviews to its predecessor, Body Wishes, although Stephen Thomas Erlewine of AllMusic called it "relatively better", due to a couple of strong singles in "Infatuation" and "Some Guys Have All The Luck". A review was not given in Rolling Stone magazine, but in the review for the album's successor, Every Beat of My Heart, they called the album "overly slick".
Camouflage peaked at #8 on the UK charts and reached a silver sales certification on 27 June 1984. In the US it peaked at #18 and went gold on 12 August 1984. Although no single from the album reached the UK Top 10, two made the US Top 10, "Infatuation" (#6) and "Some Guys Have All the Luck" (#10).
|1984||"Infatuation"||27(UK), 6(US), 27(GER)|
|1984||"Some Guys Have All the Luck"||15(UK), 10(US), 58(GER)|
|1984||"All Right Now"||72 (US)|
- "Infatuation" (Rod Stewart, Duane Hitchings, Rowland Robinson) – 5:13
- "All Right Now" (Andy Fraser, Paul Rodgers) – 4:41
- "Some Guys Have All the Luck" (Jeff Fortang [sic]) – 4:33
- "Can We Still Be Friends" (Todd Rundgren) – 3:46
- "Bad For You" (Stewart, Kevin Savigar, Jim Cregan) – 5:17
- "Heart Is On the Line" (Stewart, Jay Davis) – 4:02
- "Camouflage" (Stewart, Savigar, Michael Omartian) – 5:19
- "Trouble" (Stewart, Omartian) – 4:42
- Rod Stewart – lead vocals
- Jeff Beck – guitar solos on "Can We Still Be Friends" and "Bad for You"
- Jim Cregan – guitar
- Robin LeMesurier – guitar
- Michael Landau – guitar
- Jay Davis – bass guitar
- Tony Brock – drums
- Kevin Savigar – keyboards
- Michael Omartian – keyboards, percussion, backing vocals
- Jimmy Zavala – harmonica
- Gary Herbig – saxophone
- Jerry Hey, Chuck Findley, Kim Hutchcroft, Charlie Loper, Gary Grant – horns
- John Guess – engineering and mixing
- Tom Fouce – second engineer
- Special thanks – Kelly Emberg, Barry Tyerman, Lee Stein, Jim Cregan, Frank Stiefel, Malcolm Cullimore, and Giuseppe’s
- AllMusic review
- Rolling Stone Album Guide
- Rolling Stone review of "Every Beat of My Heart", mistaken for "The Rod Stewart Album"
- Correct spelling of the composer's last name is actually "Fortgang"
- Camouflage album liner notes. Warner Bros. Records.