Extended Rock Star Edition DVD cover
|Written by||Julie Brown
|Directed by||Matthew Diamond|
Meaghan Jette Martin
Anna María Pérez de Tagle
María Canals Barrera
|Theme music composer||Matthew Gerrard
|Country of origin||United States|
|Running time||94 minutes|
|Distributor||Disney-ABC Domestic Television|
|Original network||Disney Channel|
|Original release||June 20, 2008|
|Followed by||Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam|
Camp Rock is a 2008 Disney Channel Original Movie starring the Jonas Brothers and Demi Lovato. The music is written by Julie Brown, Paul Brown, Regina Hicks and Karen Gist. The film is directed by Matthew Diamond and produced by Alan Sacks.
The film debuted on the American Disney Channel on June 20, 2008. Camp Rock was the second DCOM to air on ABC's The Wonderful World of Disney after its premiere on Disney Channel, and was placed on the iTunes Store for digital purchase shortly after its premiere on Disney Channel. The film was watched by 8.9 million viewers on the night of its premiere, and is currently the third highest viewed DCOM of all time, behind High School Musical 2 and Wizards of Waverly Place: The Movie.
Mitchie Torres is an aspiring young musician who hopes to become a professional singer. Mitchie wants to go to a music camp named "Camp Rock". Since the family can not afford the tuition, Mitchie's mother, Connie, arranges to cater food for the camp, thus allowing Mitchie to attend. In return, Mitchie must help her mother out in the kitchen.
Meanwhile, Shane Gray, the spoiled and arrogant lead singer of the popular music trio Connect 3, has been assigned to be in charge of dance classes for one month at Camp Rock by his band mates Jason and Nate and is forced to record a song with the winner of Final Jam. Shane accidentally hears someone singing on the first day and falls in love with the voice, but does not know the identity of the singer.
During Opening Jam, Mitchie learns that many of the campers have notable roots and is embarrassed that she was only able to come to the camp because of her mother's catering service. She convinces Tess Tyler, a girl known for her famous mother and her popularity, that her mother is the president of Hot Tunes TV China. Tess, impressed, invites Mitchie to bunk with her group. Caitlyn warns Mitchie that becoming one of Tess's background girls will not be as she expects.
When Mitchie overhears Shane's new song, she compliments him. Shane, doubtful that his record label and his fans would accept the song, begins to fall for Mitchie. In the cafeteria, Tess and Caitlyn begin to throw spaghetti at each other and Mitchie gets in the middle of the fight. Brown, the owner of the camp, breaks the fight up and Tess frames Caitlyn for the incident. Brown punishes Caitlyn by having her work in the kitchen and Mitchie, who is worried that Caitlyn will learn her secret, does not help her out.
When Mitchie accidentally enters the kitchen while Caitlyn is working, Caitlyn learns about Mitchie's secret. At Pajama Jam, Mitchie supports Caitlyn when Tess attempts to upstage her show. Mitchie and Caitlyn reconcile.
Shane spreads the word that he is searching for a girl with "the voice." When Tess sees Mitchie and Shane rowing together, she becomes jealous and after finding out about Mitchie's secret, tells the entire camp. Shane thinks that Mitchie deceived him just to use him and Mitchie is forced out of Tess's group.
On the eve of Final Jam, Mitchie and Caitlyn are framed by Tess for stealing her charm bracelet and Brown bans them from Final Jam.
Final Jam arrives and everyone is ready for performances. Peggy and Ella confront Tess and leave her group. Ella performs with Barren and Sander in "Hasta La Vista". After that, Tess performs "2 Stars" and realizes her mom is attending, however she stumbles when her mom has to step out for a call. During the song, Mitchie and Caitlyn realize they can perform and run to the stage. Before the final song, Peggy performs "Here I Am" and reveals her name is actually Margaret Dupree. As Brown announces the final song, the spotlights turn on and he allows Mitchie to perform (saying he knew that they would catch on: as their performance was not in the lineup, thus not in Final Jam). Mitchie performs "This Is Me", which Shane realizes as the voice and soon joins in. Finally, the Connect 3 Members vote and decide that Peggy won the trophy and the song recording. The entire Camp sing We Rock. Backstage, Mitchie and Shane reconcile, and agree to meet next summer.
In the extended edition, Mitchie, Peggy, Lola, Tess and Ella gather in Caitlyn's garage (now a recording studio) and sing "Our Time Is Here".
Characters and cast
- Mitchie Torres (Demi Lovato) - A girl who hopes to be a singer some day. Her dream is to go to Camp Rock, but her family cannot afford the expensive camp.
- Shane Gray (Joe Jonas)- The famous lead singer of the band "Connect 3". He is sent to Camp Rock, in hopes that it would help him get rid of his cocky and arrogant attitude.
- Theresa "Tess" Tyler (Meaghan Jette Martin)- The daughter of the famous T.J. Tyler. She wishes to be a singer, like her mother.
- Caitlyn Gellar (Alyson Stoner)- Mitchie's best friend at camp.
- Ella Pador (Anna María Pérez de Tagle)- Tess's friend.
- Margaret "Peggy" Dupree (Jasmine Richards)- Tess's other friend.
- Connie Torres (María Canals Barrera)- Mitchie's mother who also runs a family catering service called "Connie's Catering."
- Barron James (Jordan Francis)- and Sander Loyer (Roshon Fegan) A duo of break-dancers, and best friends.
- Lola Scott (Aaryn Doyle)- A singer who is friends with Caitlyn.
- Brown Cessario (Daniel Fathers)- Shane's uncle who runs Camp Rock.
- Nathaniel "Nate" Gray (Nick Jonas) -and Jason Gray (Kevin Jonas) Shane's brothers and members of "Connect 3".
The Camp Rock soundtrack debuted at #3 on the Billboard 200 album charts, selling over 188,000 units in its first week. The album was certified Platinum by the RIAA and sold over 1,257,000 copies to date. In Brazil, the album was certified Platinum by the ABPD and sold over 60,000 copies until 2009.
Camp Rock premiered on the Disney Channel on June 20, 2008 with 8.86 million viewers. Its June 21 showing on ABC had 3.47 million viewers, and its June 22 showing on ABC Family had 3.73 million viewers.
The DVD and Blu-ray release for the film, titled "Camp Rock: Extended Rock Star Edition", was released on August 19, 2008. It was released in November in other countries. It was released on December 1, 2008 in the UK only on DVD.
Both the DVD and Blu-ray release contain the following bonus features.
- Extended ending
- Sing-along and karaoke functions
- "How to Be a Rock Star"
- "Jonas Brothers: Real Life Rock Stars"
- "Introducing Demi Lovato"
- "Too Cool: Setting the Stage"
- "Hasta La Vista: From Rehearsal to Final Jam""
- Music videos
- "Camp Memories" - a still gallery with video feature
There were some hidden bonus features throughout parts of the Camp Rock: Extended Rock Star Edition DVD.
- "We Rock Crew Video" - the crew of Camp Rock dances to "We Rock".
- "1234 Goodbye" - Demi Lovato performed her first song ("Who Will I Be?") the last day of filming, "1234 Goodbye".
According to the Camp Rock section of moviemansguide.com, there is another easter egg, but it is possibly untrue. In their words, "...and a short easter egg in the Music Video part of the disc (keep pressing down until you see a Pink Guitar)".
Merchandise of the film is sold at Target, Claires, and Limited Too. They include clothing (such as pajamas, T-shirts, and underwear), bags (tote bags, backpacks, etc.), bedding collection, toys, and dolls of the characters. Play Along Toys, so far, has only released dolls of Mitchie and Shane. On May 13, 2008, Disney published Camp Rock: the Junior Novel, by Lucy Ruggles, the novelization of the film. Target retail stores sell "special editions" of the novel, hardcover books that include photos.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (July 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Gary Marsh, the president of Entertainment, Disney Channel World, confirmed that a script was almost complete for Camp Rock 2. According to The Hollywood Reporter, all the principal cast was expected to return, with a special appearance by the Jonas Brothers' young brother, Frankie Jonas. According to a blog in Myspace, shooting will begin as soon as the Jonas Brothers complete their North America leg on their world tour and before their next leg in Europe and also when Demi Lovato finishes her tour.
Production on the film titled Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam began on September 3, 2009 and premiered in 2010. According to Popstar online.com, Chloe Suazo is expected to become a new camper as Dana Alee. According to Hollywood Reporter.com, the official plot is that Shane Gray and Mitchie Torres return to Camp Rock, only to discover that some of the students and instructors have abandoned it for nearby rival Camp Star. Also joining the cast for Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam is popular hip-hop artist Matthew "Mdot" Finley. Mdot will play the reigning hot-shot singer across the lake at Camp Star who challenges Camp Rock to a musical showdown. There's even a romance moment between Nate and Dana, the daughter of Camp Star's owner. The film is a Disney Channel Original Movie.
In an episode of Demi Lovato's show Sonny With a Chance, a parody of Camp Rock was made. The episode guest-starred Selena Gomez as herself, auditioning to play the role of "Sonny" in a film directed by Sonny's rival, Chad Dylan Cooper. As Sonny and Gomez fought to earn the role of "Sonny", Gomez eventually storms off the set, proclaiming that she didn't need the role, as she had been in "Camp Hip-Hop". The episode later showed Gomez performing a parody of Camp Rock, herself as Mitchie, as she hip-hop danced with fake Jonas Brothers and Big Rob dancing in the background.
- Jonas Brothers' TV Movie Nabs 8.9 Million Viewers. (June 21, 2008) US Magazine. Accessed 2008-11-11.
- Disney sets up camp at Wanakita. (October 11, 2007) Haliburton Echo. Accessed 2012-02-07.
- Camp Rock: Joe Jonas Not Dating Female Co-Star. (July 21, 2008) US Magazine. Accessed 2012-02-07.
- "Associaусo Brasileira de Produtores de Disco". ABPD. Retrieved 2012-02-09.
- Rick Kissell (February 24, 2008). "Disney unveils 2009 schedule—Entertainment News, Film News, Media—Variety". Variety. Retrieved 2008-02-24.
- Camp Rock, over a million viewers on Disney Channel
- "Camp Rock: Extended Rock Star Edition release". www.joe-jonas.com. Retrieved 2008-05-31.
- "Buy Camp Rock online at Play.com and read reviews. Free delivery to UK and Europe!". Play.com. Retrieved 2012-02-09.
- Kimberly Nordyke (June 24, 2008). "'Camp Rock' sequel in the works". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2008-06-24.
- "Frankie Jonas to appear in Camp Rock 2". The Hollywood Reporter. 24-7 Press Release. June 17, 2008. Retrieved 2008-06-22.
- TV.com (2011-02-13). "Sonny With a Chance: Battle of the Network's Stars - Season 1, Episode 13". TV.com. Retrieved 2012-02-09.