Great Salt Lake Council
|Great Salt Lake Council, Boy Scouts of America|
|Owner||Boy Scouts of America|
|Headquarters||525 Foothill Blvd Salt Lake City, UT 84113|
The Great Salt Lake Council was a local council of the BSA (BSA) which is now part of the Crossroads of the West Council. The Great Salt Lake Council served the Utah counties of Salt Lake, Tooele and Summit, as well as much of Davis County. In April 2020, it combined with the former Trapper Trails and Utah National Parks councils.
The council was divided into 22 districts.
The council operated the following camps:
- Camp Steiner
- Hinckley Scout Ranch - East Fork Scout Camp, Ridgeline High Adventure, Camp Sunrise Girls Camp
- Millcreek Canyon - Camp Tracy, Cub Country, Camp Traci Girls Camp
- Bear Lake Aquatics Base
- Teton High Adventure Base
Girls at Camp
For years before the BSA allowed younger girls in the program the Millcreek Canyon Camps allowed girls to attend camp to enjoy Millcreek Canyon. For girls ages 8 to 9 years-old, they may attend Cub Country camps. And for girls ages 10 to 11 years-old, they may attend Camp Traci for Girls. Girls over the age of 11 were able to attend Camp Sunrise at Hinckley Scout Ranch.
The first Ordeal for the El-Ku-Ta Lodge of the Order of the Arrow was held at Camp Steiner in June 1956. The ceremony team that conducted the ceremony could have either been from the Ogden area or from the Tannu Lodge in Reno, Nevada, or the ceremony was possibly conducted by the Steiner camp staff themselves. Induction weekends were typically held at the Tooele Wigwam or at Frontier Fort in Millcreek Canyon up until the dissolving of the lodge in 2020.
- Stephenson, Kathy (10 Mar 2020). "The LDS effect: Utah's Boy Scout councils will merge as their numbers slide". The Salt Lake Tribune. Salt Lake City. Retrieved 6 Apr 2020.
- KPI_Councils.pdf, Boy Scouts of America, January 2020
- "Districts | Great Salt Lake Council". Archived from the original on 2015-09-10.
- "Camps | Great Salt Lake Council". Archived from the original on 2015-09-10.
- "Lodge History".
- Boren, Kerry Ross (2008), Lest We Forget: A Historical Review of the Great Salt Lake Council, Boy Scouts of America, BSA Great Salt Lake Council, ASIN B0044V5J5W
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Great Salt Lake Council.|