Camp Washington Chili
Coordinates: Camp Washington Chili is a Cincinnati chili parlor founded in 1940 by Steve Andon and Fred Zannbus in the neighborhood of Camp Washington, near downtown Cincinnati, in southwestern Ohio. A well known Cincinnati landmark, the parlor is located at 3005 Colerain Avenue and the current owner is the Greek-born John Johnson. The restaurant left its old location and moved to a site a few lots away in 2000, after being told to vacate by the city in order to widen Hopple Street. Their new location is modeled after a 1950s-style diner. The restaurant is open 24 hours a day every day but Sunday. The chili served by the restaurant has won an "American Regional Classic" James Beard Foundation Award, and its reputation attracts many locals and visitors. CBS News set out in 1985 to find "the best chili in the nation" and declared Camp Washington Chili as the winner.
Blues musician Lonnie Mack sings a song entitled "Camp Washington Chili". Food writers Jane and Michael Stern wrote about Camp Washington Chili that "when we crave the best, there is just one place to go."
- Sheridan, Margaret. (January 4, 1985) Chicago Tribune Cincinnati-style chili parlor - A sweet success. Section: Friday; Page 16.
- Perry, Kimball. (February 22, 1993) The Cincinnati Post Camp Washington Chili going, but bigger one will replace it. Section: Living; Page 1B.
- James Beard Foundation America’s Classics Award Winners
- Martin, Chuck (2000-06-23). "Last order’s up at original Camp Washington Chili". The Cincinnati Enquirer. Retrieved 2007-08-09.
- Bun Voyage, Camp Washington Chili Cincinnati Enquirer; July 9, 2000
- Metcalf, Allan A. (2000). How We Talk: American Regional English Today. Houghton Mifflin. p. 98. ISBN 0-618-04362-4.
- Shortridge, Barbara Gimla; John R. Shortridge (1998). The Taste of American Place: A Reader on Regional and Ethnic Foods. Rowman & Littlefield. p. 54. ISBN 0-8476-8507-1.
- Simonds, Dawn (2004). Best Food in Town: The Restaurant Lover's Guide to Comfort Food in the Midwest. Emmis Books. p. 145. ISBN 1-57860-146-0.
- Stern, Jane and Michael (2009). 500 Things to Eat Before it's Too Late:and the Very Best Places to Eat Them. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. p. 245.
|This Cincinnati, Ohio-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This US-based restaurant or restaurant chain article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|