Campaign Against Home and Water Taxes
The campaign launched on 22 December 2011. It has a national presence, and is supported by numerous national representatives, including Joe Higgins, Clare Daly, Joan Collins, Séamus Healy, Richard Boyd Barrett and Thomas Pringle. While it has support from some Sinn Féin members, it is not supported by Fianna Fáil. Fine Gael Environment Minister Phil Hogan, who is charged with implementing the taxes, having openly criticised the campaign.
It has established a "national anti-household tax" phone line and organised meetings in every major town in the country. The Irish Times said in April 2012 that the campaign had been "built with lightning speed."
On 1 May 2013, gardaí arrested five members of the group, including Ted Tynan and Mick Barry, during a midday protest inside the Patrick Street branch of the Bank of Ireland in Cork city. Tynan said he felt a need to stand up against austerity.
On 6 May 2013, the Revenue Commissioners reported that 1.2 m households (74%) have paid the property tax. In August 2013, the Revenue said 1.58 m households have paid the tax, and over €175 m has been collected.
- "Campaign against property tax plans launched". RTÉ News. 22 December 2011. Retrieved 22 December 2011.
- "Galway buses to tax protest". Galway Independent. Archived from the original on 2015-02-14.
- "Campaign against Home & Water Taxes (CAHWT)". Waterford Today. 12 March 2013. Archived from the original on 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2013.
- "Councillors arrested at protest outside branch of Bank of Ireland in Cork". RTÉ News. 1 May 2013. Retrieved 1 May 2013.
- Hilliard, Mark (12 January 2012). "€5 cost to build warchest against household charge". Irish Independent. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- "Household tax revolt the price of years of austerity". The Irish Times. 4 April 2012. Retrieved 4 April 2012.
- "Household tax dodgers pay up as Revenue closes in". Irish Independent. 6 May 2013.
- "Revenue says property tax from non-payers to be taken at source next week". RTÉ News. 2 August 2013.