Campaign for Safe Road Design
The Campaign for Safe Road Design is a partnership between 13 UK major road safety stakeholders that is calling for the UK Government to invest in a safe road infrastructure which in their view could cut deaths on British roads by 33%.
The key points of the Campaign are:
- Safe road design will cut road deaths and injuries by a third
- 10,000 fewer deaths and serious injuries saves GBP6billion a year
- Safe road design gives the economy its best rate of return
- Government must build safe road design into 10-year plan
It is estimated that a formal safe road infrastructure programme in the UK could reduce the number of accidents on Britain's roads by a third. However, there is poor public appreciation in the UK of the role that safe road design has in reducing road casualties. The Campaign cite research into this subject undertaken by EuroRAP across three EU countries which found that in the UK only 20% of respondents thought that safe roads would save the most lives, whereas in Sweden and Netherlands the figure was as much as 37%.
The Campaign is led by 13 key stakeholders in UK road safety. They are: AA, County Surveyors Society, EuroRAP, Freight Transport Association, IAM Motoring Trust, Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation, Institute of Highway Engineers, PACTS, Prince Michael International Road Safety Award, RAC Foundation, Road Haulage Association, Road Safe, Road Safety Foundation.
The UK Campaign for Safe Road Design has proved to be a success having influenced the UK Department for Transport to support the increase of EuroRAP risk rate mapping to the wider road network in the UK. Following this success EuroRAP has organised a European Campaign for Safe Road Design along the lines of the UK campaign. The European campaign features 28 partners across Europe and aims to influence the EC to use Safe Road Infrastructure Initiatives to cut casualties by 50,000 a year for the next decade, which is the equivalent of €50 billion over the decade or 0.5% of GDP.
- "EuroRAP - Safe Road Design to Save UK GBP 6BN Every Year". EuroRAP. Retrieved 2008-10-01.[permanent dead link]
- Hill, Joanne. "Getting Ahead: Returning Britain to European leadership in road casualty reduction" (PDF). Campaign for Safe Road Design. Retrieved 2008-10-01.
- "Three in five back wrong measures to save lives". EuroRAP. Archived from the original on 2012-02-10. Retrieved 2008-10-01.
- "Government Support Strengthens". Campaign for Safe Road Design. Retrieved 2009-06-04.
- "Make safe road design a european transport priority". European Campaign for Safe Road Design. Retrieved 2009-06-04.