Campion School, Bugbrooke
|Motto||Care, COMMIT, Contribute|
|Department for Education URN||137087 Tables|
|Chair of Governors||Peter Whitmore|
|Head Teacher||Claire Cornwall|
|Age||11 to 19|
|Houses||Ash, Beech, Cedar, Maple, Oak, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow|
Campion School is a co-educational secondary school in Bugbrooke, about 6 miles (10 km) from Northampton, Northamptonshire. Founded in 1969, it became a Language College in September 1997, and in 2011 the school became an academy. The school had 1397 students on roll for the 2014-2015 school year, with 71 teaching staff and 19 teaching assistants.
The original buildings were built from 1966 to 1968 by the county architect's department and it was the first purpose-built comprehensive school in Northamptonshire. Extensions were added in 1971-2.
Performance and achievement
The school's latest full Ofsted inspection was in 2011, when the school was generally found to be "Good" in most categories. A section 8 report in 2015 which focused on the progress of disadvantaged students (the main weakness in the previous report) showed mixed results.
GCSE achievement (% 5 A*-C grades)
- 2011: 69%
- 2012: 70%
- 2013: 78%
- 2014: 54%
- 2015: 61%
The following are among the school's current catchment area:
Notable former pupils
- Trevor Lock, comedian and playwright.
- Tom MacRae, TV and film and playwright
- Jo Whiley, BBC Radio 1 presenter.
- "Establishment: Campion School". EduBase. Department for Education. Retrieved 14 August 2011.[permanent dead link]
- Pevsner, Nikolaus (1961). The Buildings of England – Northamptonshire. Cherry, Bridget (revision). London and New Haven: Yale University Press. p. 130. ISBN 978-0-300-09632-3.
- "Campion School inspection report 2011" (PDF). Ofsted. Retrieved 23 October 2015.
- "Campion School Section 8 Report 2015" (PDF). Ofsted. Retrieved 23 October 2015.
- "Campion School performance tables". Ofsted. Retrieved 23 October 2015.
- Northampton Chronicle & Echo 4 November 2011, p13, "Sweet toothed Jo's Children in Need 'land of cake believe' stunt"