Campobello, South Carolina
|Campobello, South Carolina|
Location of Campobello, South Carolina
|• Total||0.9 sq mi (2.2 km2)|
|• Land||0.9 sq mi (2.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||922 ft (281 m)|
|• Density||560/sq mi (230/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1247131|
Campobello is located at (35.115403, -82.149622).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.9 square miles (2.3 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 449 people, 160 households, and 124 families residing in the town. The population density was 520.8 people per square mile (201.6/km²). There were 176 housing units at an average density of 204.1 per square mile (79.0/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 85.97% White, 8.69% African American, 0.45% Native American, 4.01% Asian, and 0.89% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.89% of the population.
There were 160 households out of which 33.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 61.3% were married couples living together, 15.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 22.5% were non-families. 18.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.76 and the average family size was 3.18.
In the town the population was spread out with 25.8% under the age of 18, 8.2% from 18 to 24, 25.4% from 25 to 44, 26.9% from 45 to 64, and 13.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 91.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 88.1 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $36,250, and the median income for a family was $41,250. Males had a median income of $29,500 versus $21,875 for females. The per capita income for the town was $15,904. About 3.1% of families and 5.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 8.5% of those under age 18 and 8.1% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Race, Hispanic or Latino, Age, and Housing Occupancy: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File (QT-PL), Campobello town, South Carolina". U.S. Census Bureau, American FactFinder 2. Retrieved August 16, 2011.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Seven People Drown in S. Carolina Lake Where Susan Smith Killed 2 Sons." Associated Press at Los Angeles Times. September 2, 1996. "Also killed in the accident were Carl White, 29, of Campobello, S.C., and 3-year-old Austin Roodvoets of Inman, S.C. Both towns are about 40 miles northwest of Union."