Campton is a village in the Central Bedfordshire district of Bedfordshire, England. It is part of the civil parish of Campton and Chicksands (population 1,699) with the nearby Chicksands. It is about 9 miles (14 km) south of Bedford, and is about 9 miles (14 km) north-west from Letchworth and sits on a tributary of the River Ivel. It is just to the west of Shefford. The 13th century Church of All Saints is in the centre of the village.
Chicksands is to the north of the village, and consists almost entirely of the wooded Chicksands Priory estate. It was used as an American military base until 1995 and is now used as the British Intelligence & Security Centre (since 1997).
For local government purposes it forms part of Central Bedfordshire Council and is within the Mid Bedfordshire parliamentary constituency, whose MP is currently Nadine Dorries of the Conservative Party.
- "Detect browser settings". www.neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk. Retrieved 9 January 2016.
- "Campton & Chicksands - Home Page". www.camptonandchicksands.org.uk. Retrieved 9 January 2016.
- "PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS - 1113722". historicengland.org.uk. Retrieved 9 January 2016.
- "Campton Domesday Book". opendomesday.org. Retrieved 9 January 2016.
- "School to Fight Merger". Biggleswade Chronicle. 29 July 1994. Retrieved 9 January 2016.
- "Nadine Dorries MP". UK Parliament. Retrieved 9 January 2016.
Media related to Campton, Bedfordshire at Wikimedia Commons
|This Bedfordshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|