Can't Tell Me Nothing (mixtape)
|Can't Tell Me Nothing: The Official Mixtape|
|Mixtape by Kanye West|
|Released||May 27, 2007|
|Kanye West chronology|
Can't Tell Me Nothing: The Official Mixtape is a mixtape by American hip-hop artist Kanye West. It was made freely available over the internet on May 27, 2007 in anticipation of the release of his third studio album, Graduation.
A 14-second sample of "Young Folks."
Problems playing this file? See media help.
The official mixtape was hosted by Kanye West alongside his A&R, Plain Pat. Overall, it is compiled of songs made by various artists signed onto West's G.O.O.D. Music label, collaborations with other unaffiliated musicians, and preview versions of certain songs that would later appear on Graduation. The mixtape was very well received and gave off several tracks that later became successful singles. A physical disc was later released exclusively in the United Kingdom on February 18, 2008.
Stylus Magazine awarded Can't Tell Me Nothing an A- rating and complimented it for expressing a high quality in comparison to most promotional mixtapes, claiming, "Even with a few duds, this might be the album of the year." On its general review of the mixtape, Stylus wrote, "Can't Tell Me Nothing is one mixtape that should be legendary on its own, rather than piggybacking off its 'parent' album. It's as diverse as anything I've heard this year, both as intelligent and as stoopid as it wants to be (cf. "Us Placers" vs. "Throw Some D's (Remix)"), and gloriously so." Rock critic Robert Christgau dictated, "Get this while you can from the mixtape man no matter how much of it is destined for the real album." URB wrote, "Although the scatterbrained way Kanye chooses to present himself will continue to face scrutiny and divide opinion, any critic would be hard pressed to deny his talent. Whatever persona he adopts, whether relatively restrained or unsurprisingly in your face, the artist rarely fails to engage." Can't Tell Me Nothing won "Mixtape of the Year" at the 2007 Vibe Awards.
|1.||"Friday Morning May 25th" (intro performed by Kanye West, Tony Williams and DeRay Davis)||Kanye West||2:17|
|2.||"Stronger" (snippet performed by Kanye West)||Kanye West||1:23|
|3.||"Us Placers" (performed by Child Rebel Soldier)||Lupe Fiasco||3:54|
|4.||"I Ain't Even on Yet" (performed by GLC)||Xcel||2:36|
|5.||"Can't Tell Me Nothing" (performed by Kanye West)||Kanye West||4:08|
|6.||"Southside" (snippet performed by Common featuring Kanye West)||Kanye West||2:22|
|7.||"The Game" (performed by Common)||Kanye West||2:30|
|8.||"Porno" (interlude performed by Kanye West)||Kanye West||1:15|
|9.||"Stay Up" (snippet performed by 88-Keys featuring Kanye West and Malik Yusef)||88-Keys||1:50|
|10.||"In the Mood" (performed by Talib Kweli featuring Kanye West)||Kanye West||2:32|
|11.||"C.O.L.O.U.R.S." (performed by Fonzworth Bentley featuring Pimp C and Lil Wayne)||4:45|
|12.||"Pro Nails" (performed by Kid Sister featuring Kanye West)||A-Trak||2:37|
|13.||"Young Folks" (performed by Kanye West and Jay-Z)||Kanye West||1:47|
|14.||"Interviews" (interlude performed by Kanye West and Tony Williams)||Kanye West||3:31|
|15.||"The People" (performed by Common)||Kanye West||3:25|
|16.||"Get'cha Some" (performed by Big Sean)||WrighTrax||2:57|
|17.||"Don't Forget Em" (performed by Consequence)||Kanye West||2:55|
|18.||"White (On the Floor)" (performed by Sa-Ra)||Sa-Ra||3:00|
|19.||"Because of You" (remix performed by Ne-Yo featuring Kanye West)||Stargate||1:35|
|20.||"Buy You a Drank" (remix performed by T-Pain featuring Kanye West)||Kanye West||2:01|
|21.||"Throw Some D's" (interlude performed by Kanye West)||Polow da Don||0:36|
|22.||"Throw Some D's" (remix performed by Kanye West)||Polow da Don||2:36|
|23.||"Dreaming of Your Love" (performed by The World Famous Tony Williams)||Kanye West||2:52|
|24.||"Magnetic Power" (performed by Really Doe featuring Jennifer Hudson)||Beaman||1:47|
|25.||"Hater Family" (performed by P.M.)||3:36|
- Kot, Greg (2007-06-01). "Kanye, Lupe, Pharrell Collaborate on Thom Yorke Track". Chicago Tribune. Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2008-05-28.
- Christgau, Robert (October 2007). "Kanye West – Can't Tell Me Nothing – Music Review". MSN Music. Microsoft. Retrieved 2009-10-06.
- "Kanye West Can't Tell Me Nothing Review". Rolling Stone. RealNetworks, Inc. 2007. Retrieved 2007-09-10.
- Inskeep, Thomas (2007-08-31). "Kanye West Can't Tell Me Nothing – Music Review". Stylus Magazine. stylusmagazine.com. Retrieved 2007-09-10.
- Conan, Milne (2007-07-11). "CD Reviews Kanye West :: Can't Tell Me Nothing". URB. NativeSon Media, Inc. Retrieved 2009-05-03.
- Reid, Shaheem; Rodriguez, Jayson (2007-06-04). "Mixtape Monday: 50 Didn't Bite Jim Jones; Kanye Keeps GOOD Music Intact". MTV. MTV Networks. Retrieved 2007-06-04.
- Thornton, Alex (2008-02-10). "DXNext, Underground Rap – Kid Sister". HipHopDX. Cheri Media Group. Retrieved 2008-02-10.
- "Can't Tell Me Nothing". Amazon. Amazon.com, Inc. 2008. Retrieved 2008-04-12.
- Shepherd, Julianne; Fennessey, Sean (2007). "Vibe Award Special". Vibe. Vibe Media Group, Inc. Retrieved 2007-11-19.