Can't You See (The Marshall Tucker Band song)
|"Can't You See"|
|Single by The Marshall Tucker Band|
|from the album The Marshall Tucker Band|
1973 (Original release)|
|Genre||Country rock, southern rock|
|The Marshall Tucker Band singles chronology|
"Can't You See" is a song written by Toy Caldwell of The Marshall Tucker Band. The song was originally recorded by the band on their 1973 debut album, The Marshall Tucker Band, and released as the album's first single. It was re-released in 1977 and peaked at number 75 on the Billboard Hot 100. Cover versions of "Can't You See" have charted for Waylon Jennings (in 1976) and the Zac Brown Band with Kid Rock (2010).
The song is featured in the 2001 films Blow and Scotland, PA, the 2008 Joshua Michael Stern film Swing Vote, and at least two commercials: one for Busch Beer (2011) and one for tourism in Gatlinburg, Tennessee (2012).
A live version is included as the final track on the band's 1975 album, Searchin' for a Rainbow.
The lyrics are noted as being dark, reflecting heartache and "a man running as far away as he can to begin the process of healing himself".
|"Can't You See"|
|Single by Waylon Jennings|
|from the album Are You Ready for the Country|
|B-side||"I'll Go Back To Her"|
|Waylon Jennings singles chronology|
"Can't You See" was covered by American country music artist Waylon Jennings for his 1976 album Are You Ready for the Country. Jennings' version was released as the album's first single in July 1976 and peaked at number 4 on the Billboard Hot Country Singles chart. It also reached number 1 on the RPM Country Tracks chart in Canada.
- Hank Williams, Jr. covered "Can't You See" for his album Hank Williams, Jr. and Friends in 1975.
- The Minglewood Band of the Canadian Maritimes covered "Can't You See" from their self-penned 1979 album, which became a much-requested staple of its live act.
- The Charlie Daniels Band covered "Can't You See" for their 1981 live album Volunteer Jam VII and the 1999 album Tailgate Party.
- Alabama covered "Can't You See" for their 1988 Alabama Live album with Jeff Cook on lead vocals.
- The Zac Brown Band, along with Kid Rock, covered "Can't You See" on their 2010 live benefit album, Pass the Jar.
- Black Stone Cherry covered the song on their 2011 album Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea.
- Poison covered the song on their album Poison'd in 2007.
- The Allman Brothers Band covered the song live with Kid Rock in 2009.
- Sam Morrison Band of Fullerton, CA covered the song in their self-titled CD around 2008 and later covered it again as a single in 2013.
- Lost Possum covered "Can't You See" on their 2008 album, Juggernaut.
- Halfway to Gone covered "Can't You See" for the compilation album Sucking the 70s.
- DJ Andy Beneker (DJ AndyB) covered the song in 2014 as a mashup with Nelly's Country Grammar.
- Vinyl Gypsies cover at the Chop Shop 08/27/2016
The Marshall Tucker Band
|US Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles (Billboard)||8|
|US Billboard Hot 100||75|
|Canadian RPM Top Singles||57|
|Canadian RPM Adult Contemporary||39|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||4|
|US Billboard Hot 100||97|
|Canadian RPM Country Tracks||1|
Zac Brown Band with Kid Rock
|US Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles (Billboard)||11|
- "The Marshall Tucker Band singles". Allmusic. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "Waylon Jennings singles". Allmusic. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "RPM Country Singles for October 9, 1976". RPM. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- Mark Allan. "Minglewood Band - The Minglewood Band | Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 2016-10-11.
- "Marshall Tucker Band Chart History (Bubbling Under Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "The Marshall Tucker Band Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Waylon Jennings Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
- "Waylon Jennings Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Zac Brown Band Chart History (Bubbling Under Hot 100)". Billboard.