Can't You See (The Marshall Tucker Band song)
|"Can't You See"|
|Single by The Marshall Tucker Band|
|from the album The Marshall Tucker Band|
|B-side||"See You Later, I'm Gone" (Original release)|
"Fly Like an Eagle" (Re-release)
|Released||1973 (Original release)|
|The Marshall Tucker Band singles chronology|
"Can't You See" is a song written by Toy Caldwell of The Marshall Tucker Band. The song was originally recorded by the band on their 1973 debut album, The Marshall Tucker Band, and released as the album's first single. It was re-released in 1977 and peaked at number 75 on the Billboard Hot 100. Cover versions of "Can't You See" have charted for Waylon Jennings (in 1976) and the Zac Brown Band with Kid Rock (2010).
A live version, recorded live at the Performing Arts Center in Milwaukee, Wisconsin on July 31, 1974, is included as the final track on the band's 1975 album, Searchin' for a Rainbow. Cash Box said of it that it showcased "their distinctive guitar and flute sounds."
The lyrics are noted as being dark, reflecting heartache and "a man running as far away as he can to begin the process of healing himself".
|"Can't You See"|
|Single by Waylon Jennings|
|from the album Are You Ready for the Country|
|B-side||"I'll Go Back To Her"|
|Waylon Jennings singles chronology|
"Can't You See" was covered by American country music artist Hank Williams Jr. for his 1975 album "Hank Williams Jr. and Friends" and also by Waylon Jennings for his 1976 album Are You Ready for the Country. Jennings' version was released as the album's first single in July 1976 and peaked at number 4 on the Billboard Hot Country Singles chart. It also reached number 1 on the RPM Country Tracks chart in Canada.
Matt Minglewood's The Minglewood Band recorded a version on 1979's Minglewood Band album. It is a staple in his live shows to this day, and includes a preamble about the song being about loneliness, painting a picture of a man leaving the rural East Coast of Canada for the Big City and how when his love leaves he's lonely. Halfway to Gone Covered the song on their 2002 album Second Season. Black Stone Cherry covered the song on their 2011 album Between the Devil & the Deep Blue Sea. Virtual band, Kelly and the Ding Dongs, released their cover of Can't You See February 12, 2021.
The Marshall Tucker Band
|US Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles (Billboard)||8|
|US Billboard Hot 100||75|
|Canadian RPM Top Singles||57|
|Canadian RPM Adult Contemporary||39|
|Billboard Rock Digital Song Sales||43|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||4|
|US Billboard Hot 100||97|
|Canadian RPM Country Tracks||1|
Zac Brown Band with Kid Rock
|US Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles (Billboard)||11|
- Kelley, Ken (April 2, 2012). "No. 85: Marshall Tucker Band, 'Can't You See' – Top 100 Classic Rock Songs". Ultimate Classic Rock. Retrieved December 12, 2018.
- "The Marshall Tucker Band singles". Allmusic. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "CashBox Singles Reviews" (PDF). Cash Box. July 30, 1977. p. 18. Retrieved 2021-12-26.
- "Waylon Jennings singles". Allmusic. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "RPM Country Singles for October 9, 1976". RPM. Archived from the original on 21 October 2012. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "Between the Devil & the Deep Blue Sea - Black Stone Cherry". AllMusic.
- "Marshall Tucker Band Chart History (Bubbling Under Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "The Marshall Tucker Band Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Waylon Jennings Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
- "Waylon Jennings Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Zac Brown Band Chart History (Bubbling Under Hot 100)". Billboard.