Can't Stop the Music (album)
|Can't Stop the Music|
|Studio album / soundtrack by Village People|
|Village People chronology|
|Singles from Can't Stop the Music|
Can't Stop the Music is the sixth studio album and first soundtrack by Village People for their movie Can't Stop the Music released in 1980. Though the movie was a commercial failure, the album did better, reaching No. 9 on the UK Albums Chart, No. 47 on the Billboard 200 in the US, and No. 1 in Australia (on the Kent Music Report). This album was reissued to CD in 1999.
It contains songs not only by the Village People but also by David London and The Ritchie Family. The album also features a re-make of "Y.M.C.A." which was actually the original 1978 recording with original lead singer Victor Willis's voice taken off, and Ray Simpson laying down new lead vocals. Simpson's remake never charted and was not released as a single.
This is the first Village People album that was not certified Gold by the RIAA.
On May 7, 2012, publishers Can't Stop Productions and Scorpio Music failed in their attempt to prevent "Y.M.C.A.", "Milkshake", and "Magic Night", written by Victor Willis from the Can't Stop the Music motion picture soundtrack from reverting to Willis as scheduled starting in 2013. In a historic ruling, Judge Barry Ted Moskowitz of the United States District Court for the Southern District of California ruled that Willis can in fact terminate his copyrights granted to the publishers because "a joint author who separately transfers his copyright interest may unilaterally terminate the grant." In response to the ruling, Willis stated "I am just looking forward to having control of the songs." So as it currently stands, in 2013 at a minimum, Victor Willis per the court order will own (recapture) 33% of "Y.M.C.A.", "Milkshake", "Magic Night", and other Village People hits. However, his percentage of ownership may increase to 50% if the songs were only written by Victor Willis and Jacques Morali, not Henri Belolo. In fact, Brian Caplan, Willis' lawyer stated that he is confident they will prove at trial that Henri Belolo didn't write any of the lyrics to those songs. Judge Moskowitz has granted the publishers, Can't Stop Productions and Scorpio Music, 30 days to amend their complaint to argue why Willis should not be allowed to provide evidence that Henri Belolo was not one of the writers of "Y.M.C.A.", "Milkshake", "Magic Night", and other Village People hits.
- "Can't Stop the Music"
- "Samantha" (David London)
- "Give Me a Break" (The Ritchie Family)
- "Magic Night"
- "The Sound of the City" (David London)
- "I Love You to Death"
- "Sophistication" (The Ritchie Family)
|Australian Albums (Kent Music Report)||1|
|Belgian Albums (BEA)||6|
|Danish Albums (IFPI)||5|
|Dutch Albums (MegaCharts)||20|
|Finnish Albums (Suomen virallinen lista)||2|
|Japanese Albums (Oricon)||36|
|New Zealand Albums (RMNZ)||4|
|Norwegian Albums (VG-lista)||17|
|Portuguese Albums (Musica & Som)||8|
|Spanish Albums (AFE)||1|
|Swedish Albums (Sverigetopplistan)||35|
|UK Albums (OCC)||9|
|US Billboard 200||47|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Village People UK chart history, The Official Charts Company. Retrieved March 18, 2012.
- AllMusic Can't Stop the Music - The Village People, Amy Hanson, October 21st, 2015
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992 (doc). Australian Chart Book, St Ives, NSW. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "Hits Of The World, Page 84 November 1 1980". Billboard. Retrieved April 8, 2017.
- "Hits Of The World, Page 62 October 18 1980". Billboard. Retrieved April 8, 2017.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Soundtrack / Village People – Can't Stop The Music" (in Dutch). Hung Medien. Retrieved April 7, 2017.
- Pennanen, Timo (2006). Sisältää hitin - levyt ja esittäjät Suomen musiikkilistoilla vuodesta 1972 (in Finnish) (1st ed.). Helsinki: Kustannusosakeyhtiö Otava. p. 263. ISBN 978-951-1-21053-5.
- "Oricon Archive - Village People". Oricon. Retrieved April 7, 2017.
- "Charts.org.nz – Soundtrack / Village People – Can't Stop The Music". Hung Medien. Retrieved April 7, 2017.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Soundtrack / Village People – Can't Stop The Music". Hung Medien. Retrieved April 7, 2017.
- "Hits Of The World, Page 88 December 20 1980". Billboard. Retrieved April 8, 2017.
- Salaverri, Fernando (September 2005). Sólo éxitos: año a año, 1959–2002 (1st ed.). Spain: Fundación Autor-SGAE. ISBN 84-8048-639-2.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Soundtrack / Village People – Can't Stop The Music". Hung Medien. Retrieved April 7, 2017.
- "Village People | Artist | Official Charts". UK Albums Chart Retrieved April 7, 2017.
- "The Village People – Awards". AllMusic. All Media Network. Archived from the original on October 5, 2012. Retrieved April 7, 2017.
- "Sólo Éxitos 1959–2002 Año A Año: Certificados 1979–1990" (in Spanish). Iberautor Promociones Culturales. ISBN 8480486392.
True Colours by Split Enz
|Australian Kent Music Report number-one album
June 23 – August 24, 1980
by Olivia Newton-John and the Electric Light Orchestra