Can I Sit Next to You, Girl
|"Can I Sit Next to You, Girl"|
|Single by AC/DC|
|B-side||"Rockin' in the Parlour"|
|Released||22 July 1974|
|AC/DC singles chronology|
"Can I Sit Next to You, Girl" is the debut single by Australian hard rock band AC/DC issued on 22 July 1974. On August 26, 1974, the song peaked at number 50 on the Aria charts and then disappeared. This version has lead vocals performed by Dave Evans prior to his being replaced by Bon Scott, as well as drums by ex-Masters Apprentices member Colin Burgess and bass guitar by ex-The Easybeats member George Young (older brother of band cofounders Malcolm Young & Angus Young; co-producer). Originally, AC/DC's first bassist, Larry Van Kriedt, played the bass parts, but George recorded his own over them later. In 1975, after Scott joined, the group re-wrote and re-recorded the song as the seventh track on their Australia-only album T.N.T., released in December 1975 (see 1975 in music), and as the sixth track on the international version of High Voltage, released in May 1976. The title of this version of the song removed the comma, becoming "Can I Sit Next To You Girl".
Written by Malcolm and Angus Young, it was AC/DC's first original song, having been recorded as "Can I Sit Next to You, Girl" (with a comma; see image) with original lead singer Dave Evans just before he was replaced by Bon Scott. The Evans version was released as a single in Australia, and the band performed the song with Evans on the TV show Countdown. The musical arrangement of Evans' version is different from Scott's, and has never been officially released outside Australia.
This song was often covered at live shows by controversial Australian sleaze rock band Candy Harlots and appeared on their 1992 single "Sister's Crazy".
A music video for the song at The Last Picture Show was released only in Australia in 1974. Peter Clack (drums) and Rob Bailey (bass) appeared in the video, even though they did not record the music.
"Can I Sit Next to You, Girl" (1974)
- Dave Evans – lead vocals
- Angus Young – guitar
- Malcolm Young – guitar
- George Young – bass, production
- Colin Burgess – drums
"Can I Sit Next to You Girl" (1975)
- Bon Scott – lead vocals
- Angus Young – lead guitar
- Malcolm Young – rhythm guitar
- Mark Evans – bass
- Phil Rudd – drums
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-05-12. Retrieved 2014-05-10.
- "Can I Sit Next to You Girl (7')". Spirit of Metal webzine. Retrieved 29 May 2016.
- Engleheart, Murray; Durieux, Arnaud (2006). AC/DC: Maximum Rock & Roll. Harper Collins. pp. 46, 54, & 60.
- Saulnier, Jason (3 January 2013). "Dave Evans Interview". Music Legends. Retrieved 5 May 2013.
- Malcolm Dome and Jerry Ewing, AC/DC – The Encyclopaedia
- Saulnier, Jason (30 September 2011). "Mark Evans Interview". Music Legends. Retrieved 6 May 2013.