Can We Go Back
|"Can We Go Back"|
|Song by Kelly Clarkson from the album All I Ever Wanted (Japan Deluxe Edition)|
|Released||May 13, 2009|
|Writer(s)||Shanna Crooks, Andrew Creighton Dodd, Adam Watts|
|All I Ever Wanted (Japan Deluxe Edition) track listing|
Can We Go Back is a song written by Adam Watts, Andy Dodd and Shanna Crooks and recorded by Kelly Clarkson during the sessions for her 2009 album, All I Ever Wanted. It appeared as a iTunes Store pre-order song for the deluxe version of the album, as well as a bonus track on the Japanese deluxe version of the album. It was then later recorded in Japanese by singer Kumi Koda in 2009 with differing lyrics.
Kumi Koda version
|"Can We Go Back"|
|Single by Koda Kumi|
|from the album Best: Third Universe/Universe|
|Released||January 20, 2010|
|Format||CD Single, digital download|
|Writer(s)||Koda Kumi, Adam Watts, Andy Creighton Dodd, Shanna Crooks|
|Koda Kumi singles chronology|
"Can We Go Back" is the fourth single by Japanese singer Koda Kumi for the album Universe. "Can We Go Back" became the first single to celebrate Kumi's 10th Anniversary as an artist, with Take Back released in December 2000. The single charted at #2 on Oricon and, though it was a limited release, charted for four weeks.
After hearing a demo version of the track from the writers Adam Watts, Andy Dodd and Shanna Crooks, Koda Kumi picked the song, feeling that its aggressive tone matched how she felt at the time. Kumi worked on most of the lyrics for her Japanese edition of the single, making only the instrumentals predominately the same.
"Can We Go Back" was a limited release, but also a CD and a CD+DVD version.
- CD: contains four musical tracks.
- CD+DVD: contains four musical tracks, music video and making video.
Each edition contained different cover art. Both versions, were alternate images of Kumi from the outfit she wore during the bound scene.
The music video was shot by director Ryūji Seki (known in Japan as セキ★リュウジ). The video was given a Joan of Arc theme, to reflect "being in a battle with a friend, being injured and supporting each other" image intended to be expressed in the song.
The music video takes place on a battlefield with Koda Kumi and her back-up dancers dressed in clothes inspired by Hundred Years' War-era uniforms worn by the French military as they try to raise their flag on the field. Koda Kumi is performing the song on a stage set on the battlefield as the video cuts to the story visuals. The dance break in the middle of the video was arranged by Hiro, who created the dance to reflect an overall feel of Michael Jackson, taking inspiration from the "Thriller" music video. The ending to the music video is shown with Kumi and her compatriots raising their flag in the style of French artist Jules Eugène Lenepveu's famous 1890 artwork Panthéon II.
|1.||"Can We Go Back"||Koda Kumi, Adam Watts, Andy Dodd, Shanna Crooks||Adam Watts, Andy Dodd||3:25|
|2.||"Good Day"||Kumi||Yuta Nakano||Yuta Nakano||3:07|
|3.||"Can We Go Back" (Instrumental)||Watts, Dodd||3:25|
|4.||"Good Day" (Instrumental)||Nakano||Nakano||3:02|
|1.||"Can We Go Back" (Music video)|
|2.||"Can We Go Back" (Making video)|
Oricon Sales Chart (Japan)
|Release||Chart||Peak position||Sales total|
|January 20, 2010||Oricon Daily Charts||2|
|Oricon Weekly Charts||2||36,565|
|Oricon Monthly Charts||8|
|Oricon Yearly Charts||-|
|Billboard Japan Adult Contemporary Airplay||20|
|Billboard Japan Hot 100||6|
|Oricon Weekly Singles ||2|
|RIAJ Digital Track Chart Top 100||6|
"Can We Go Back"
- "Can We Go Back": Found on the single and corresponding album Universe (2010)
- "Can We Go Back [Instrumental]": Found on the single (2010)
- "Can We Go Back [Prog5 Handz-Up Electro Remix]": Found on Koda Kumi Driving Hit's 3 (2011)
- "Good Day": Found on the single (2010)
- "Good Day [Instrumental]": Found on the single (2010)
- "Good Day [Jewel Remix]": Found on Koda Kumi Driving Hit's 3 (2011)
- "(Japanese) All I Ever Wanted Discography Entry". BMG Japan. Retrieved 2009-02-22.
- "All I Ever Wanted-Deluxe Edition／オール・アイ・エヴァー・ウォンテッド～デラックス・エディション【初回生産限定盤】". Sony Music. Retrieved 2009-12-27.
- "NEWシングル「Can We Go Back」2010年1月20日発売決定！！". Koda Kumi Official Website. 2009-11-20. Archived from the original on December 21, 2009. Retrieved 2009-12-27.
- "Koda Kumi Official Website". Billboard Japan. 2009-12-06. Archived from the original on January 6, 2010. Retrieved 2009-12-27.
- "Can We Go Back (Limited Edition/with DVD) / KODA KUMI / ORICON STYLE". Oricon. Retrieved January 26, 2016.
- "All Night Nippon". univasian.com (in Japanese). Retrieved 2012-09-01.
- "Kumi Koda comment goes rotten". TokyoGraph. Retrieved May 2, 2016.
- "Paroles / Lyrics: Koda Kumi: Can We Go Back". NautilJon. Retrieved September 16, 2016.
- "倖田來未 Can We Go Back". Retrieved 2009-12-27.
- ""倖田來未"UNIVERSE"とかとか"". HIRO -THE MUSIC BLOG-. 2010-01-15. Retrieved 2010-01-29.
- "Adult Contemporary Airplay Week of February 1, 2010". Billboard. Archived from the original on 2010-12-22. Retrieved 2010-01-23.
- "Japan Hot 100 Week of February 1, 2010". Billboard. Retrieved 2010-01-26.
- "2010年02月第1週のシングルランキング情報". Oricon. Retrieved 2010-01-27.
- "RIAJ Digital Track Chart: Chart issue January 19, 2010" (in Japanese). Recording Industry Association of Japan. Retrieved 2010-01-23.