Can You Feel It (The Jacksons song)
|"Can You Feel It"|
|Single by the Jacksons|
|from the album Triumph|
|Released||March 5, 1981|
|Format||12" maxi single|
|Length||5:57 (Album Version)|
3:49 (7" Edit)
|the Jacksons singles chronology|
Written by brothers Michael and Jackie, the song featured solo leads by Randy and Michael. Released as a single in 1981, the song reached No. 77 on the pop charts and No. 30 on the R&B charts in United States, but reached No. 6 in the UK and No. 2 in the Netherlands in 1981.
- Written and composed by Michael Jackson and Jackie Jackson
- Produced by the Jacksons
- Lead vocals: Michael & Randy Jackson
- Arrangement by Michael & Jackie Jackson
- String arrangement by Tom Tom 84
- Background vocal coordinator & choir director: Stephanie Spruill
- The Children's Choir: Yolanda Kenerly, Brigette Bush, Audra Tillman, Lita Aubrey, Rhonda Gentry, Roger Kenerly II, Soloman Daniels, Brian Stilwell, Gerry Gruberth, Peter Wade
- The Adults' Choir: Stephanie Spruill, Paulette McWilliams, Bunny Hull, Carolyn Dennis, Venetta Fields, Josie James, Paulette Brown, Carmen Twillie, Lisa Roberts, Phyllis St. James, Roger Kenerly-Saint, Ronald Vann, Louis Price, Gregory Wright, Arnold McCuller, Roy Galloway, Jim Gilstrap, Gerry Garrett, Bob Mack, Tyrell (Rock) Deadrick
The accompanying video, entitled "The Triumph," directed by Bruce Gowers and Robert Abel, was noted for its special effects created by Robert Abel and Associates. Michael created the video's concept, and Tito's sons Taj and Taryll appeared as extras. In 2001, it was voted one of the 100 best videos of all time, in a poll to mark the 20th anniversary of MTV. The title was also used for a 2009 greatest hits compilation. The video was featured on the bonus disc of the box set, Michael Jackson's Vision. The prelude narration is spoken by voice-over artist Ken Nordine.
- 1998: The single was sampled by the Tamperer featuring Maya for their dance hit "Feel It".
- 1998: The song is also sampled in the Teddy Riley produced hip hop track "Feel It" by Charli Baltimore.
- 2004: British boy band V released a cover version of the song "Can You Feel It".
- 2005: Swedish artist September used the riff in her single "Satellites".
In popular culture
- Levine, Nick (July 7, 2009). "Michael Jackson's Top 20 Singles: Part One". Digital Spy. Retrieved May 15, 2016.
- (#2 in the Netherlands in 1981) Hit Dossier 1939-1994, 1994, ISBN 90-230-0820-0 / Top 40 Hitdossier 1956-2001, 2001, ISBN 90-257-3349-2.
- "Forum – ARIA Charts: Special Occasion Charts – Top 100 Singles 1980". Australian-charts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2 December 2018.
- "Ultratop.be – The Jacksons – Can You Feel It" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Can you feel it in Irish Chart". IRMA. Archived from the original on 3 June 2009. Retrieved 14 July 2013. Only one result when searching "Can you feel it (re 1)"
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – The Jacksons" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – The Jacksons – Can You Feel It" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- John Samson. "Can you feel it in South African Chart". Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "Jackson 5". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "Triumph awards on Allmusic". Allmusic. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "Australian-charts.com – The Jacksons – Can You Feel It". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "the Jacksons - "Can you feel it?"". Mvdbase.com. Retrieved 2016-10-16.
- Friday Night Videos premiere of "Can You Feel It"
- "ipbfree.com". Musicology.ipbfree.com. Retrieved 2016-10-16.
- "Fatboy Slim's Praise You voted best video". The Guardian. 2001-07-31. Retrieved 2008-07-30.
- "Can You Feel It: Collection [Import]". Amazon.com, Inc. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "The Tamperer Featuring Maya's Feel It sample of The Jacksons's Can You Feel It". WhoSampled.com. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "Charli Baltimore's Feel It sample of The Jacksons's Can You Feel It". WhoSampled.com. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "Can You Feel It? by V". WhoSampled.com. Retrieved 7 July 2018.
- "September's Satellites sample of The Jacksons's Can You Feel It". WhoSampled.com. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- "Amazon TV Commercial, '2018 Holidays Can You Feel It'". ispot.tv. Retrieved November 18, 2018.