Canaan Township, Athens County, Ohio
|Canaan Township, Athens County, Ohio|
Municipalities and townships of Athens County
|• Total||38.6 sq mi (100.1 km2)|
|• Land||38.0 sq mi (98.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.6 sq mi (1.6 km2)|
|Elevation||620 ft (189 m)|
|• Density||44/sq mi (16.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085752|
Located in the center of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Ames Township - north
- Bern Township - northeast corner
- Rome Township - east
- Carthage Township - southeast corner
- Lodi Township - south
- Alexander Township - southwest corner
- Athens Township - west
- Dover Township - northwest corner
Name and history
Canaan Township was organized in 1819.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Canaan township, Athens County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 10, 2013.
- DeLorme. Ohio Atlas & Gazetteer. 7th ed. Yarmouth: DeLorme, 2004, p. 80. ISBN 0-89933-281-1.
- Walker, Charles Manning (1869). History of Athens County, Ohio, And, Incidentally, of the Ohio Land Company and the First Settlement of the State at Marietta. Robert Clarke & Company. p. 441.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.