Canaan Township, Morrow County, Ohio
|Canaan Township, Morrow County, Ohio|
Methodist church at Denmark
Location of Canaan Township in Morrow County
|• Total||27.5 sq mi (71.1 km2)|
|• Land||27.5 sq mi (71.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,024 ft (312 m)|
|• Density||32.7/sq mi (12.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086698|
Located in the northwestern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Tully Township, Marion County - north
- Washington Township - northeast
- Gilead Township - southeast
- Cardington Township - south
- Richland Township, Marion County - southwest corner
- Claridon Township, Marion County - west
- Scott Township, Marion County - northwest corner
No municipalities are located in Canaan Township.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Morrow County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates[permanent dead link] Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- History of Morrow County and Ohio: Containing a Brief History of the State of Ohio. O.L. Baskin & Company. 1880. p. 217.
- History of Morrow County and Ohio: Containing a Brief History of the State of Ohio. O.L. Baskin & Company. 1880. p. 474.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.