Canada–Ukraine Free Trade Agreement
|Type||Free trade agreement|
|Signed||July 11, 2016|
|Effective||August 1, 2017|
Canada–Ukraine Free Trade Agreement (CUFTA, French: Accord de libre-échange Canada-Ukraine (ALECU), Ukrainian: Угода про вільну торгівлю між Україною та Канадою) is a free-trade agreement between Canada and Ukraine. According to the agreement, the signing parties eliminate custom duties on essentially all goods produced in one country and imported to the other.
On September 22, 2009, talks between Canada and Ukraine on a free trade agreement began, as announced by Minister of International Trade for Canada, Stockwell Day. Prime Minister of Ukraine Yulia Tymoshenko hoped for more effective cooperation with Canada once the trade deal were cemented.
The agreement was signed on 11 July 2016 in Kyiv, Ukraine, and has come into force on 1 August 2017. The signing ceremony took place in Kyiv and it was attended by Justin Trudeau (Prime Minister of Canada), Chrystia Freeland (Minister of International Trade of Canada), Petro Poroshenko (President of Ukraine), Volodymyr Groysman (Prime Minister of Ukraine), Stepan Kubiv (First Vice Prime Minister of Ukraine and Minister of Economic Development and Trade of Ukraine).
The ratification process of the agreement was concluded in June 2017, and the agreement will enter into force on 1 August 2017.
- "Canada-Ukraine Free Trade Agreement (CUFTA)". Global Affairs Canada (official site).
- "Canada-Ukraine Free Trade Agreement, text of the Agreement (English language)". Global Affairs Canada (official site).
- "Canada-Ukraine Free Trade Agreement, text of the Agreement (Ukrainian language)". Verkhovna Rada (parliament) of Ukraine (official site) (in Ukrainian).
- Minister Day Announces Free Trade Talks with Ukraine, Government of Canada (September 22, 2009)
- Tymoshenko hopes for more effective cooperation with Canada after creation of free trade area, Interfax-Ukraine (September 23, 2009)
- Milewski, Terry (13 July 2015). "Canada-Ukraine trade deal announced by Arseniy Yatsenyuk, Stephen Harper". CBC.
- "The signing ceremony of CUFTA, Ministry of Economic Development and Trade (Ukraine)". twitter (in Ukrainian). 11 July 2016.
- "Free-trade agreement between Canada and Ukraine has been ratified". Embassy of Ukraine in Canada (official site) (in Ukrainian). 29 June 2017. Archived from the original on 24 April 2019.