Canada's Largest Ribfest
|Canada's Largest Ribfest|
The logo of Canada's Largest Ribfest
|Begins||September 3, 2015|
|Ends||September 7, 2015|
|Location(s)||Burlington, Ontario, Canada|
|Most recent||September 2015|
Canada's Largest Ribfest is the name of an annual ribfest food festival held in Spencer Smith Park by the lake shore in Burlington, Ontario. The Burlington Lakeshore Rotary Club organizes the four-day-long Ribfest to raise money for charity during the Labour Day weekend.
The Burlington Lakeshore Rotary Club held the first Ribfest in 1995, then simply called the Ribfest.
By 2001, the festival had expanded to include ribs from 12 traveling rib teams.
In early 2009, the Burlington Ribfest rebranded itself as "Canada’s Largest Ribfest"—with its logo redesigned by Little Green Tree. In September, 175,000 people and 18 rib teams attended the 14th annual Canada’s Largest Ribfest, consuming 150,000 lbs of ribs over the weekend. An estimated $320,000 was raised for local charities.
In 2003, an economic study was conducted on "Canada's Largest Ribfest." It found that almost 50% of visitors to the Ribfest come from outside Burlington. About 100% of those who came to the Ribfest would recommend it to out-of-town friends and/or relatives. About 69% said they would attend in 2007. About $1.8 million is being spent in the region by consumers.
The Ribfest's funds are split to local organizations, business, and hospitals.
This is some of them:
- Scouts Canada
- Rotary Youth Leadership Awards
- Scholarships and Bursaries
- Burlington Teen Tour Band
- Burlington Art Centre
- Salvation Army
- The Carpenter Hospice
- Rotary Music festival
- Burlington International Games
- Partnership West Food Bank
- Joseph Brant Hospital
- Children's Assessment & Treatment Centre
- Habitat for Humanity
- "Burlington est un bijou à découvrir dans le Centre-Sud." Bonjour Ontario. May 19, 2010.
- "Festivals and federal funds. National Post. May 11, 2010
- "A finger-lickin' Ribfest ; Ribbing teams from U.S. and Canada compete on Ontario's summer festival circuit". Toronto Star. Toronto, Ontario. Sep 5, 2001
- Burman, John "Burlington expects 150,000 to chow down at RibFest." The Spectator - Hamilton, Ont. Aug 31, 2004.
- Burlington Ribfest Identity Redevelopment
- Canadian stimulus package funding gigantic ribfest?!. Weightymatters.ca May 18, 2010
- Fricker, Peter. "Federal funding program has soft spot for rodeos." Vancouver Sun. May 25, 2010
- "Contributions et bénéficiaires (2010)." Industrie Canada.
- Chouinard, Marie-Andrée. "Financement des festivals - La boîte à surprises." Le Devoir. 15 May 2010
- 2009 Sponsorship & Advertising Program. CanadasLargestRibfest.com.