Canada Green Building Council
The Canada Green Building Council (CaGBC) was created in 2003 to further the expansion of green building in Canada. Prior to the formation of the Council, Canada had participated in the United States Green Building Council (USGBC) through British Columbia's membership in the USGBC's Cascadia Chapter.
The CaGBC was founded by Kevin Hydes of Integral Group, Joe Van Belleghem, Jon Hobbs, formerly of the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada and Peter Busby of Perkins+Will Canada. It is a member of the World Green Building Council.
The CaGBC is dedicated to promoting the LEED rating system. Their mission is to lead and accelerate the transformation to high-performing, healthy green buildings, homes and communities throughout Canada. The CaGBC also promotes the WELL Building Standard and GRESB (Green Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark).
The CaGBC award numerous awards of recognition to individuals and organizations who have made outstanding contributions to Canada's green building industry. These awards specifically include eight CaGBC Leadership Awards, the Andy Kesteloo Memorial Student Project Award, the Product of the Year Award, and the Canadian Green Building Awards. These awards celebrate innovative sustainable building practices and techniques being made in Canada.
LEED Canada-NC v1.0
The Canadian version of LEED is very similar to the USGBC NC version. It contains the following categories:
- Sustainable sites (SS)
- Water efficiency (WE)
- Energy and atmosphere (EA)
- Materials & resources (MR)
- Indoor environmental quality (EQ)
- Innovation in design (ID)
- Regional priorities (RP)
LEED Certification in Canada is done solely through the CaGBC.
- Natural Resources Canada
- Rainwater harvesting in Canada
- West Coast Environmental Law
- Environmental Dispute Resolution Fund
- R-2000 program
- Sustainable architecture
- United Kingdom Green Building Council
- United States Green Building Council
- World Green Building Council
- Canadian Green Building Awards
- "Ontario Centre for Green Building Design and Development : About Us". Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- The Cascadia Region Green Building Council is one of the original chapters of the U.S. Green Building Council and covers Oregon, Washington, British Columbia, and Alaska. "About Cascadia Region Green Building Council". Retrieved 2008-12-12.
- "Canada Green Building Council". World Green Building Council. Retrieved 2020-05-15.
- "CaGBC Awards". www.cagbc.org. Retrieved 2016-06-23.