Canada for Haiti
Canada for Haiti was a Canadian television special that aired on January 22, 2010. The special was meant as a relief concert to help those affected by the 2010 Haiti earthquake. Canada's major broadcasters CBC, Citytv, CTV and Global, simulcasted the event. Hosted by Cheryl Hickey, Ben Mulroney and George Stroumboulopoulos, the program aired at 7 PM ET and PT, 8 PM AT and MT, 8:30 PM NT and 9 PM CT.
Donations collected through the special benefitted the Canadian Red Cross Society, CARE Canada, Free the Children, Oxfam, Plan Canada, Save the Children Canada, UNICEF and World Vision Canada. Donations were collected through the website, canadaforhaiti.com, a phone line (1-877-51-HAITI), and through text messages until February 12, 2010.
The event raised $13.5 million. Francophone radio and television stations presented a similar, French-language special, Ensemble pour Haïti, the same night at 8PM ET. which raised an additional $6.65 million. The $16 million total will be matched by the Canadian federal government to bring the total raised funds to $40 million.
On January 23, the day after the telethon, Prime Minister Stephen Harper decided to remove the $50 million donation cap, because of Canadians, "overwhelming generosity".
Guests and performers
Many guests appeared, including; James Cameron, Celine Dion, Deryck Whibley, Jason Reitman, Ryan Reynolds, William Shatner, Rachelle Lefevre, Joshua Jackson, Pamela Anderson, Eugene Levy, Norman Jewison, Tom Jackson, Will Arnett, Sandra Oh, Brent Butt, Hugh Dillon, Mike Holmes, Rick Mercer, Alex Trebek, Justin Bieber, Sarah McLachlan, Barenaked Ladies, Simple Plan, David Foster, Chantal Kreviazuk, Raine Maida, Measha Brueggergosman, Craig Kielburger, Wayne Gretzky and Steve Nash, Michael J. Fox, Geddy Lee and Rachel McAdams. Also, Governor General Michaëlle Jean and her Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, made televised speeches. Nelly Furtado, K'Naan, Metric, and The Tragically Hip gave musical performances during the benefit.
- CTV, CBC and Global to air Canadian benefit for Haiti
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-03-24. Retrieved 2019-06-21. Cite uses deprecated parameter
|dead-url=(help)CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Montreal Gazette: "Canadians come together for Haiti telethon"
- TVA: "Ensemble pour Haïti" Archived 2011-07-20 at Archive.today (in French)
- $16M raised in total in Canada's Haiti telethons
- PM lifts cap for matching Haiti donations
- Rachel McAdams, Nelly added to 'Canada for Haiti'
- Canadians donate more than $9M for Haiti after Dion, Fox, appear on telethon