Canadian Information Processing Society
|Not for profit|
|Headquarters||Mississauga, Ontario, Canada|
|Trekker Armstrong, I.S.P., ITCP/IP3P, is the Chair of the Canadian Council of Information Technology Professionals for CIPS.|
Number of employees
|5 (excluding volunteers)|
The Canadian Information Processing Society (C.I.P.S.) is the Information Technology professional society in Canada. The society certifies and regulates the Information Systems Professional (I.S.P.) designation in most provinces. The society also performs accreditation of computer science and software engineering programs at Canadian universities. CIPS is responsible for defining the Canadian IT Body of Knowledge.
Calvin Gotlieb helped found CIPS in 1958, serving as its president from 1960 to 1961. Calvin was elected as founding fellow in 2006. The first President of CIPS was Fred Thomas serving in 1958 to 1959 and the last President and Chair of the National Board was founding fellow Stephen Ibaraki, serving 2007 to 2008.
2008 was the 50th anniversary of CIPS, and a new governance model was approved by the national board that year where CIPS is governed by the Canadian Council of IT Professionals (CCITP) and its Chair. Prime Minister of Canada Stephen Harper provided a message to CIPS on the 50th anniversary.
Each province has a provincial body that administers the legislation or regulation establishing the self-regulating professional body. This consists of the following bodies:
- CIPS Alberta
- CIPS British Columbia
- CIPS Manitoba
- CIPS New Brunswick
- CIPS Newfoundland and Labrador
- CIPS Nova Scotia
- CIPS Ontario
- CIPS Prince Edward Island
- CIPS Saskatchewan
In Québec, CIPS is partnered with the Réseau ACTION TI. CIPS is the Canadian member organisation of the International Federation for Information Processing (IFIP). IFIP works on establishing international standards for information technology and software engineering. CIPS is also a member of South East Asia Regional Computer Confederation (SEARCC) and a founding member of IFIP IP3. CIPS is also a constiuent member of the ICCP, . which is the Institute for Certification of Computing Professionals, based out of the USA, and dedicated to the establishment of high professional standards for the computer industry across North America.
CIPS is also a member organization of the Federation of Enterprise Architecture Professional Organizations (FEAPO), a worldwide association of professional organizations which have come together to provide a forum to standardize, professionalize, and otherwise advance the discipline of Enterprise Architecture.
- Alberta: Professional and Occupational Associations Registration Act, R.S.A. 2000, c. P-26, Information Systems Professional Regulation, Alta. Reg. 39/1997
- British Columbia: Society Act, R.S.B.C. 1996, s.s. 86-93 (Occupational Titles Protection)
- New Brunswick: Canadian Information Processing Society of New Brunswick Act, 2001, c. 49
- Nova Scotia: Canadian Information Processing Society of Nova Scotia Act, S.N.S. 2002, c. 3
- Ontario: An Act respecting Canadian Information Processing Society of Ontario, 1998, c. Pr5
- Saskatchewan: Canadian Information Processing Society of Saskatchewan Act, S.S. 2005, c. C-0.2
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) (related organisation in USA)
- Australian Computer Society (related organisation in Australia)
- IEEE Computer Society (IEEE CS)
- Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET)
- International Federation for Information Processing (IFIP)
- Mountbatten Medal
- New Zealand Computer Society (related organisation in New Zealand)
- Computer Society of Southern Africa (CSSA) (related organisation in South Africa)
- Brazilian Computer Society (SBC)
- British Computer Society (BCS) (related organisation in United Kingdom)
- "Getting to Know the New CIPS CCITP Chair, Trekker Armstrong, I.S.P., ITCP/IP3P". CIPS Chartered under Industry Canada. Archived from the original on July 6, 2011. Retrieved March 29, 2010.
- "Government of Canada, Industry Canada, CIPS - National Office - Complete Profile". Government of Canada, Industry Canada. Retrieved March 29, 2010.
- "Annual Report 2008-2009" (PDF). CIPS Chartered under Industry Canada. Retrieved March 29, 2010.
- "Founder". CIPS. Retrieved April 1, 2010.
- "Calvin Gotlieb FCIPS (Fellow's profile)". CIPS (the Canadian Information Processing Society). Retrieved April 1, 2010.
- "CIPS Fellow Members". CIPS (the Canadian Information Processing Society). Retrieved April 1, 2010.
- "Awards and Accolades May 2006 Gotlieb Elected Inaugural CIPS Fellow". University of Toronto. Retrieved April 1, 2010.
- "CIPS Fellow Members". CIPS Chartered under Industry Canada. Retrieved April 2, 2010.
- "CIPS National Presidents". CIPS Chartered under Industry Canada. Retrieved April 2, 2010.
- "CIPS 50th Anniversary Annual Report 2007-2008 Celebrating 50 Years" (PDF). CIPS chartered by Industry Canada, Government of Canada. Retrieved April 2, 2010.
- "Message from the Right Honourable Stephen Harper". CIPS Chartered under Industry Canada. Archived from the original on July 6, 2011. Retrieved April 2, 2010.
- "About CIPS". CIPS. Retrieved April 3, 2010.
- "IFIP General Assembly 1. Full Members". IFIP. Retrieved March 31, 2010.
- "IP3 - Leading the Development of the Global IT Profession". IFIP IP3. Retrieved March 31, 2010.
- "About ICCP". ICCP. Retrieved April 3, 2010.