Canadian International Development Agency
The Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) was an organization that administered foreign aid programs in developing countries, and operated in partnership with other Canadian organizations in the public and private sectors as well as other international organizations.
It was formed in 1968 by the Canadian government under Pierre Trudeau. In March 2013, the Conservative government announced that CIDA would be folded into the Department of Foreign Affairs, and the organizations renamed as the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development.
CIDA reported to the Parliament of Canada through the minister for International Cooperation. Its mandate was to "support sustainable development in developing countries in order to reduce poverty and contribute to a more secure, equitable, and prosperous world." CIDA had its headquarters at 200 Promenade du Portage in Gatineau, Quebec.
- Social development
- Economic well-being
- Environmental sustainability
- With a focus upon issues such as climate change, land degradation, and water supply, CIDA sought to help developing nations maintain healthy ecosystems. CIDA was a partner in the Canada Iraq Marshlands Initiative. For example, CIDA was a major donor to the International LUBILOSA Programme: which developed a biological pesticide for locust control, in support of small-holder farmers in the Sahel.
- CIDA strove for human rights, democracy, and good governance. The agency also supported gender equality.
- Canada Corps
- Canada India Institute-Industry Link Project
- GAIN Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition
- Millennium Development Goals
- Local Enterprise Investment Centre (LEIC) a centre funded by Canadian Government through Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) and managed by IDLC of Bangladesh Ltd. (IDLC) to develop Bangladeshi SMEs
|Wikinews has related news: Canada commits $127.4 million to fighting tuberculosis|
- Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. .
- Canadian International Development Agency. CIDA in Brief
- Canadian International Development Agency. Minister of International Cooperation.
- Canadian International Development Agency. Environmental Sustainability.
- University of Victoria "Reseeding a way of life in Iraq’s marshlands." The Ring (January, 2008).
- Official web site
- CIDA's Organization Chart
- Profiles of projects funded by CIDA
- Canadian International Development Agency at the Internet Movie Database
- Government Directory - CIDA
- Between Policy and Practice: Navigating CIDA's Democracy Agenda - Saskatchewan Institute of Public Policy, by Geoffrey Cameron
- Local Enterprise Investment Centre (LEIC) a centre funded by Canadian Government through Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA)