Canadian International School (Singapore)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Canadian International School located in Singapore|
Lakeside Campus, 7 Jurong West 41, Tanjong Katong Campus, Tanjong Katong Rd.
|Head of school||Peter Corcoran|
|Number of students||3000|
|Education system||International Baccalaureate|
|Medium of language||English with additional language in: Chinese, French, Spanish|
|Programmes||PYP, MYP, DP, Bilingual(Chinese - English, & French- English), STEAM, Open Minds|
The Canadian International School (CIS) is an International Baccalaureate school with a student body of over 3,000 individuals from 80 countries. CIS offers the International Baccalaureate Primary (IB PYP), Middle Years (IB MYP) and Diploma (IB DP) programmes to students from Nursery to Grade 12.
The Canadian International School was established in 1990 as a university preparatory day school and was named the Canadian Overseas College, but subsequently changed its name to the Canadian International School. In its first year, the school opened with a population of only six high school students and six staff members. Today, the Canadian International School has two campuses – the Lakeside campus in Singapore's west (Nursery to Grade 12), and the Tanjong Katong campus in the east (Nursery to Grade 6).
CIS curriculum and faculty
Canadian International School's curriculum is delivered within the International Baccalaureate framework. The CIS educational programme consists of five elements: Academics, Athletics and Activities, Service and Leadership, Outdoor Learning, and Arts and Creativity; students spend the majority of the school day in the Academic element.
Global Language Programme
CIS's academic programme is delivered in English and learning an additional language is a requirement of the curriculum. Daily language lessons start in junior kindergarten. Students whose first language is not English will be supported by an English language learner programme. A range of mother tongue and additional languages are available in the after-school activities programme. The additional language programme develops students' linguistic capabilities, providing them with the necessary skills to compete on the world stage. The language choices are:
- Immersion programme in Chinese or English - Pre-Kindergarten
- Daily Chinese or French acquisition classes - Junior Kindergarten to Grade 10
- Bilingual Chinese-English programme (junior kindergarten to grade 6), French-English programme - Grade 1 and Grade 2 (Lakeside only)
- Additional Language Classes in Chinese, French or Spanish
STEAM integrates the areas of science, technology, entrepreneurship, arts and mathematics. STEAM at CIS is taught across the entire school from Kindergarten to Grade 12.
Outdoor learning sees students goes beyond the traditional classroom to learn. Primary students spend a week a year in a variety of real-world settings. Excursion week sees students in Grades 4 to 11 exploring countries such as Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, China and Cambodia.
The Canadian International School's faculty is one of the finest, with over 60% of staff holding advanced or double degrees.
Bilingual Programme Singapore
The school offers two bilingual programmes. The Chinese-English bilingual programme is provided at both Tanjong Katong and Jurong West campuses from kindergarten to grade 6, while the French-English programme is offered in grades 1 and 2 at Lakeside only. The programme is structured so that students attend alternate days of Chinese or French then English. 
Tanjong Katong Campus
The Tanjong Katong Campus was opened in September 2007 on the former site of the Tanjong Katong Girls' School. Block C of the Tanjong Katong campus is a Singapore Heritage listed site.
Angela Henderson is the current principal of the campus.
Jurong West Campus
The Lakeside campus, set on 43,000 sq.m. of land, provides students with facilities that include classrooms connected to learning pods, academic facilities, sporting, outdoor and playground facilities, as well as a performing and fine arts centre, 500-seat theatre, Olympic-sized swimming pool, maker spaces and a two-storey library.
It also features a 2,011-sqm outdoor learning play area meant for students aged three to six that includes sand and water areas to support play-based learning.
Angela Hollington is the current kindergarten and primary school principal.
Jeff Smith is the secondary school principal.
- "CIS KINDERGARTEN". Retrieved 5 October 2015.
- "Entry requirements". Retrieved 9 September 2017.
- "CIS School Staff | Canadian International School - Singapore". www.cis.edu.sg. 2018-09-19. Retrieved 2018-09-20.
- "Bilingual Programme Singapore | Canadian International School". www.cis.edu.sg. 2018-09-19. Retrieved 2018-09-20.
- "Tanjong Katong Campus | Canadian International School - Singapore". www.cis.edu.sg. 2018-09-19. Retrieved 2018-09-20.
- "Canadian school's new campus to open in 2011". www.asiaone.com. AsiaOne. AsiaOne. Retrieved 5 April 2019.
- "Canadian International School goes big on outdoor learning". The Straits Times. The Straits Times. The Straits Times. 19 October 2015. Retrieved 5 April 2019.
- "Lakeside Campus | Canadian International School - Singapore". www.cis.edu.sg. 2018-09-19. Retrieved 2018-09-20.