Canadian Machine Gun Corps
|Canadian Machine Gun Corps|
|Active||16 April 1917 – 1 November 1923|
|Role||(Canadian Army) Permanent Active Militia|
|Raymond Brutinel, CMG DSO|
The Canadian Machine Gun Corps (CMGC) was an administrative corps of the Canadian Army. It was part of the Canadian Expeditionary Force sent to France during World War I. The Canadian Permanent Machine Gun Brigade was organized in the Permanent Force on 16 April 1917. The Canadian Permanent Machine Gun Brigade was redesignated the Royal Canadian Permanent Machine Gun Brigade on 16 June 1921. The Royal Canadian Permanent Machine Gun Brigade was disbanded on 1 November 1923. The Canadian Machine Gun Corps donated a wall plaque at St. George's Church in Ypres.
The Canadian Machine Gun Corps was formed on 16 April 1917 and the official publication of the formation occurred in the Canadians' Routine Order 558 of 22 February 1917. It was initially composed of: 1. Machine Gun Squadron, Canadian Cavalry Brigade, 2. Machine gun companies, 3. 1st Motor Machine Gun Brigade and motor machine gun batteries, 4. A depot organized in England on 4 January 1917 (authorized by Canadian's Routine Order 150 of same date).
This unit was allied with the following:
- The Regiments and Corps of the Canadian Army. Queen's Printer. 1964.
- "Menin Gate Memorial and St. George's Church". Veterans Affairs Canada. 2015. Retrieved 22 July 2015.
- "Guide to Sources Relating to Units of the Canadian Expeditionary Force - Machine Gun Units" (PDF). Library and Archives Canada. 2017. Retrieved 15 November 2017.
- Grafton, C. S. (1938). The Canadian Emma Gees; a history of the Canadian Machine Gun Corps. London, Ontario: The Canadian Machine Gun Corps Association.
- McBride, Herbert W. (1918). The Emma Gees. Indianapolis, Indiana: Bobbs-Merrill Company.
- Dorosh, Michael A. (2014). "Canadian Machine Gun Corps". Canadian Soldiers. Retrieved 22 July 2015.
- Fisher, Richard (2013). "Canadian Machine Gun Corps". The Vickers Machine Gun Collection & Research Association. Retrieved 22 July 2015.
- Laughton, Richard (2014). "Machine Gun Corps". Canadian Expeditionary Force Study Group. Retrieved 22 July 2015.
- Leroux, Marc (2015). "Canadian War Diaries: Machine Gun Brigades". The Canadian Great War Project. Retrieved 22 July 2015.
|This Canadian military history article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|