Canadian Music Week
Canadian Music Week began in 1981, and has grown to become one of Canada’s largest and most influential media and music conferences. It draws top industry professionals to participate in a four-day program of activities.
Designed to stimulate the exchange of market intelligence, increase dialogue and provide networking opportunities, Canadian Music Week continues to present the ideal platform for more than 3,000 national and international delegates.
2015 was CMW's 33th year, and is the single longest running multi-day Canadian music and media event. It manages to consistently bring together more than 3,000 music industry professionals for the week's events - combining conferences, award shows, & one of Canada’s biggest "New Music" festivals.
Throughout the duration of the event, performers put on shows at venues ranging from popular bars and halls, to trendy clothing stores and cafes. Many emerging new bands use the festival as an opportunity to 'get spotted' by the A&R reps that are around in greater than average numbers during the festival.
Notable Speakers and performers that have been a part of the event (Canadian Music Week) include:
- Slash, Celebrity Interview artist;
- Gene Simmons, Celebrity Interview artist;
- David Foster, Celebrity Interview record producer;
- Dennis DeYoung, Celebrity Interview artist/songwriter;
- Chuck D, Keynote Speaker artist/record producer;
- Alan Parsons, Keynote Speaker British record producer;
- Hollowphonic, an ambient, post-rock unit;
- Seymour Stein, president of Sire records;
- Trapt, a nu metal rock outfit;
- Public Enemy, hip hop group;
- Cassius Khan, Indian Classical Musician; The Ghazal Tabla Wizard
- Wolfmother, Rock band;
- MENEW, indie rock band;
- The Exies, an indie rock band;
- Glen Ballard, Producer;
- Don Was, Producer;
- Mark Hudson, Producer;
- Mathew Knowles, Keynote Speaker - World Music Entertainment C.E.O;
- Sir George Martin, Producer;
- Jordan Galland, panel member, Director/musician;
- Bullmoose, indie rock band.
Hall of Fame Inductions
Canadian Indies Hall of Fame
CMW also honours important independent and alternative artists with its annual "Canadian Indies Hall of Fame" program. Artists who have been inducted into the Hall of Fame include Parachute Club, The Pursuit of Happiness, Martha and the Muffins, D.O.A., and Rough Trade.
Canadian Music Industry Hall of Fame
Featured Cultural Spotlight Performances
- 2010 Spotlight on India - Rock Showcase featured a number of South-Asian-Canadian acts such as J'sin who performed tracks from his Fatlab's produced debut album Born.
Canadian Music Fest
- "CMW 08: Alanis Morissette Inducted Into Hall of Fame, Receives Lifetime Achievement Award".
- "Artists | CMF 2011". Canadianmusicfest.com. Retrieved 2010-05-13.
- "jsin Live@CMW 2010 Inside". YouTube. 2010-04-12. Retrieved 2010-05-13.
- [dead link]
- Canadian Music Week Official site