Canadian Secretary to the Queen
The Canadian Secretary to the Queen (French: Secrétaire canadien de la Reine) is the senior operational member of the Royal Household of Elizabeth II, Queen of Canada. It is the principal channel of communication between the monarch and her Canadian government, provincial governments, and the governments of the 15 other Commonwealth realms, as well as managing the monarch's other correspondence in the Canadian context and drafting speeches the Queen will deliver. The secretary is responsible for advising the prime minister "on matters related to the Canadian Crown, including providing advice on the Government of Canada's heritage-related commemorative initiatives, high level coordination of Royal Tours to Canada, and state ceremonial and protocol advisory functions." Additionally, the secretary chairs, ex-officio, the Advisory Committee on Vice-Regal Appointments and holds responsibility for the official programme of tours of Canada by members of the Royal Family.
Secretaries to the Queen
- 1959 – 1986: Howard Graham
- 1989 – 1991: John Crosbie Perlin
- 1993 – 2005: Maurice Gaston Cloutier
- 1 April 2009 –: Kevin S. MacLeod
- Secretary to the Governor General of Canada
- Private Secretary to the Sovereign
- Principal Secretary (Canada)
- Treble, Patricia (8 July 2010). "The Queen's man on the ground". Maclean's. Toronto: Rogers Communications (July 2010). ISSN 0024-9262. Retrieved 10 July 2010.
- Jackson, Michael D. (2013). The Crown and Canadian Federalism. Toronto: Dundurn Press. p. 261. ISBN 9781459709898. Retrieved 10 January 2016.
- Office of the Prime Minister of Canada (4 November 2012). "Terms of reference: Advisory Committee on Vice-Regal Appointments". Queen's Printer for Canada. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- McGregor, Janyce (7 November 2015). "Justin Trudeau's cabinet: 6 changes found in the fine print". CBC. Retrieved 7 November 2015.
- Buckner, Phillip (2005). "The Last Great Royal Tour: Queen Elizabeth's 1959 Tour to Canada". In Buckner, Phillip. Canada and the End of Empire. Vancouver: UBC Press. p. 70. ISBN 0-7748-0915-9. Retrieved 24 October 2009.
- Patriquin, Martin (5 July 2011). "A royal pain or a PR coup for the PM?". Maclean's. Toronto: Rogers Communications. ISSN 0024-9262. Retrieved 5 July 2011.
- "Office of the Registrar General: Appointments" (PDF). Canada Gazette. Ottawa: Queen's Printer for Canada. 132 (16): 851. 18 April 1998. Retrieved 8 September 2009.
- "PM announces the appointment of Kevin MacLeod as Canadian Secretary to the Queen" (Press release). Office of the Prime Minister. 1 April 2009. Retrieved 5 April 2009.
|This Canada-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|