Canadian University Field Lacrosse Association
|President||David Fenicky (2014- present)|
|No. of teams||15|
|Western Mustangs (2018)|
The Canadian University Field Lacrosse Association (CUFLA) is an association of men's field lacrosse teams connected with several universities in Ontario and Quebec. Teams compete in the fall with league playoffs typically in early November.
Founded in 1985, the Canadian University Field Lacrosse Association, or the "CUFLA," was originally known as the Ontario University Field Lacrosse Association (OUFLA) and, as the name suggests, was entirely Ontario-based. Throughout the 1980s and 1990s, OUFLA expanded to include more teams across Ontario.
Having grown to 10 teams in 2002, OUFLA changed its name to the Canadian University Field Lacrosse Association to reflect the additions of McGill University and Bishop's University, both located in Quebec.
The league expanded to 12 teams in 2007 with the additions of Trent (Peterborough) and Laurentian (Sudbury) universities. With these additions the league split into two divisions (east and west) based on geographic location of member schools.
As it celebrates its 30th year in 2014, the CUFLA has expanded again to 15 teams with the addition of Nipissing University and the University of Ottawa. This ongoing growth bodes well for the continued expansion of men's field lacrosse at various universities across Canada.
|Bishop's Gaiters||Lennoxville, Quebec||Drew Pollock|
|Brock Badgers||St. Catharines, Ontario||Tim Luey|
|Carleton Ravens||Ottawa, Ontario||Jeremy Strong|
|Guelph Gryphons||Guelph, Ontario||Sam Kosakowski|
|Laurentian Voyageurs||Sudbury, Ontario||George Sheppard|
|McGill Redmen||Montreal, Quebec||Tim Murdoch|
|McMaster Marauders||Hamilton, Ontario||Jason Tallevi|
|Nipissing Lakers||North Bay, Ontario||Jason Rudge|
|Ottawa Gee-Gees||Ottawa, Ontario||Callum Crawford|
|Queen's Golden Gaels||Kingston, Ontario||Don Tough|
|Toronto Varsity Blues||Toronto, Ontario||Joe Nizich|
|Trent Excalibur||Peterborough, Ontario||Geoff McKinley|
|Western Mustangs||London, Ontario||Jeremy Tallevi|
|Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks||Waterloo, Ontario||Clancy Almas|
- Concordia University - Montreal, Quebec
- Waterloo Warriors - Waterloo, Ontario
- Windsor Lancers - Windsor, Ontario
- York Yeomen – Toronto, Ontario
The Baggataway Cup is the Canadian university field lacrosse championship, awarded annually to the winner of the post-season tournament by the Canadian University Field Lacrosse Association. The Baggataway Cup tournament is typically held the second weekend in November, and is hosted by one of the member schools.
|1996||Brock Badgers||Guelph Gryphons|
|1997||Brock Badgers||Guelph Gryphons|
|1998||Brock Badgers||Guelph Gryphons||8-6|
|1999||Brock Badgers||Western Mustangs|
|2000||Guelph Gryphons||Brock Badgers||13-11|
|2001||Western Mustangs||Brock Badgers||12-10|
|2002||Brock Badgers||Bishop's Gaiters||9-8, 3OT|
|2003||Brock Badgers||Bishop's Gaiters||10-5|
|2004||Brock Badgers||Bishop's Gaiters||10-9|
|2005||Brock Badgers||Guelph Gryphons||14-7|
|2006||Brock Badgers||Bishop's Gaiters||11-8|
|2007||Brock Badgers||Guelph Gryphons||13-10|
|2008||Guelph Gryphons||McGill Redmen||14-9|
|2009||Brock Badgers||McMaster Marauders||12-11|
|2010||McMaster Marauders||Brock Badgers||11-10|
|2011||Bishop's Gaiters||Brock Badgers||11-6|
|2012||McGill Redmen||Western Mustangs||7-6, 2OT|
|2013||Guelph Gryphons||McGill Redmen||14-11|
|2014||Guelph Gryphons||McGill Redmen||15-12|
|2015||McGill Redmen||Western Mustangs||15-11|
|2016||Western Mustangs||Trent Excalibur||11-7|
|2017||Western Mustangs||Brock Badgers||16-14, 2OT|
|2018||Western Mustangs||Brock Badgers||9-8, 2OT|
|University of Guelph||5||2014|
The operations of CUFLA are handled by an executive that reports regularly to the team presidents, typically at annual general meetings. Currently, the executive is composed of a Commissioner, an Assistant Commissioner, a Treasurer, a Director of Communications and a Referee-in-Chief.
- David Fenicky - Commissioner
- Kevin Caplice - Asst Commissioner
- Brandon McLean - Asst Commissioner
- Mark Walker - Treasurer
- Ian Garrison - Referee in Chief
- Stephen Stamp - Director of Communications
Only current students registered at their respective universities with a full course load are deemed eligible to play in CUFLA competitions. Players who have played professional field lacrosse (such as Major League Lacrosse) are prohibited from playing in CUFLA.
However, players who play professional box lacrosse (such as the National Lacrosse League) are eligible to play. Throughout the years, the league has seen many current and former NLL players scattered throughout various teams.
Media coverage of CUFLA has grown in recent years, with local and student newspapers devoting several articles to CUFLA's game results. Several lacrosse websites (Lacrosse All Stars, Inside Lacrosse, The Lacrosse News,Lacrosse Bucket , etc.) and magazines have taken notice and included CUFLA in their ongoing coverage of the world of lacrosse.
- "Gees lacrosse goes competitive". The Fulcrum. Retrieved 23 January 2014.
- "Mustangs rejoice: "We're the best in da league"". UWO Gazette. 6 November 2001.
- "Brock University wins Baggataway Cup with help from Durham players". DurhamRegion.com. 12 November 2009.
- "McMaster Marauders beat Brock Badgers 11-10". Inside Lacrosse. 7 November 2010.
- "Bishop's wins CUFLA Baggataway Cup". Inside Lacrosse. 7 November 2011.
- "Sharples leads McGill past Western to win men's university field lacrosse title". The Hamilton Spectator. 4 November 2012.
- "Guelph Gryphons win Baggataway Cup, Canada's university men's lacrosse title". Times Colonist. 3 November 2013. Archived from the original on 2014-09-13.
- "Redmen take Baggataway Cup championship". The Sherbrooke Record. 8 November 2015.
- "CUFLA Elects new Commissioner, two Assistant Commissioners". CUFLA. Retrieved 14 July 2014.