Canal 9 (Denmark)
|Launched||July 17, 2009|
|Owned by||Discovery Networks Northern Europe|
|Slogan||Sport & Spænding|
|Sister channel(s)||Eurosport 6'eren|
The channel is a retro channel that shows older documentary series from the Discovery Channel and old 80s action & comedy series like Miami Vice, The A-Team, Magnum and M*A*S*H and with football in the weekends from Danish Superliga, UEFA Europa League, La Liga, Serie A. The channel share sports rights with Eurosport and 6'eren, it was original launched as a low-pay sister channel to Canal+ in July 2009.
- 1 History
- 2 Sports Rights
- 3 Past Sports Rights
- 4 TV series
- 5 Advertisements
- 6 References
- 7 External links
The channel was announced on March 20, 2009. There had been some uncertainty as for the distribution for the channel, as neither YouSee nor Telia Stofa and Boxer had expressed interest in distributing the channel. On March 25 it was announced that Canal Digital will broadcast the channel exclusively on satellite. The channel will cost 23,95 DKK, which is slightly less than its competitor TV 2 Sport.
Canal 9 launched on July 17, 2009 with the Danish action movie In China They Eat Dogs. From the start, it was available from Canal Digital, ComX, Smile Content and several community antennas and fiber networks.
Canal 9 became available terrestrially in July when it temporarily replaced Kanal København in Copenhagen where it will broadcast until October 31, 2009. After this, it will broadcast from Boxer's transmitters nationwide. On September 15, it was added to YouSee's cable network, where it initially be available digitally on the Middle package.
From the start in July 2009, Canal 9 had secured lots of football rights including matches from FIFA World Cup 2010, Danish Superliga, Serie A, Premier League, The Championship, La Liga, Eredivisie and League Cup but also the rights to events from UFC and TNA Wrestling and the 2009 World Championships in Athletics and handball from EHF Champions League.
On May 15, 2010 it was announced that the owners of Canal 9, TV4 Group has secured the right to UEFA Euro 2012 in Denmark, but it is still uncertain whether the tournament will be shown on Canal 9 because of the low ratings. 
On August 13, 2011 www.kampanje.com start writing about that Canal 9 will be launched in a Norwegian version on October 1, 2011 and vill replace TV4 Fakta in Norway.
The 2011–12 season of The Championship and Serie A was originally scheduled only on Canal+ Sport 1 but after wild protests from viewers on their Facebook page, they decided to show a match at 4 p.m. from The Championship, followed by a match from Serie A at 6 p.m. on Saturday when possible; big matches from Danish Superliga and La Liga will still have priority in the time period, this was announced on their Facebook page on August 25, 2011.
Back in May 2010 it was announced that the Canal 9 and TV4 Group has secured the right to UEFA Euro 2012 in Denmark, but it was uncertain whether the tournament will be shown on Canal 9 because of the low ratings and the following strong focus on the problem in the media that Canal 9 had the rights as well as the two qualifying matches against Iceland and Cyprus, specially the Danish newspaper Ekstra Bladet has been after Canal 9 and called them "The Secret Channel", and several angry viewers have driven campaignings "Denmark national football team's matches back on national TV and not on Pay-TV" on Ekstra Bladet's webpage "Nationen" and on Facebook. So on October 10, 2011, it was announced that Canal 9 and TV4 Group has sold the rights to the two national Danish TV-Stations TV2 and DR.
Through late 2010 and 2011 became Canal9 every Monday to Friday more a documentary channel like the Swedish TV4 Fakta and has the same rights, while the weekend was still dedicated to football and movies including UFC on Friday nights. Sports rights as Handball, wrestling, Powerboat, tennis and ice hockey were dropped to get a more strong focus on football and the channel changed the slogan from Denmark's new sports channel to Denmark's new football channel - we live football.
On January 11, 2012, it was announced that Canal 9 will bring back the TV soap The Bold and the Beautiful in March 2012 after Kanal 4 dropped the series in November 2011 because of low ratings, fans of the series started a massive campaign on Facebook trying to get back the series on Danish television and it succeed with Canal 9 after two months. And Canal 9 has scheduled the series to 5:30 P.M.
Back in February 2011, it was announced that Canal 9 had secured the rights to ice hockey IIHF World Championships from 2012 to 2017 but on February 7, 2012, it was announced that Canal 9 had sold the rights to TV2 Sport for a three-year period from 2012–2014.
On July 3, 2012, it was announced that Canal 9 vil get a new sisterchannel called Canal 8 Sport, and will be dedicated to sports and will start August 13, 2012, Still there will be football on Canal 9 in the weekends from La Liga, Serie A and Danish Superliga. UEFA Europa League on Thursday nights, and UFC replays on Friday nights.
And on July 4, 2012, it was announced that the new Canal 8 Sport will replace Canal+ Sport 1 in Denmark. and on the same day Canal 9 HD was announced, and will start also on August 15, 2012, and Canal 8 Sport HD was also announced, and will start in the beginning of 2013.
On July 5, Canal 9 announced on their Facebook page that they have not extended their right to English football (The Championship & League Cup) because of low ratings, they tried with regular airtime and gave it another chance in the 2011/12 season after wild protest on their Facebook page from the viewers, when they talked about already in 2011 that they would not extend the rights, but it was still no success in the 2011/12 season.
Canal 9 HD launched on August 15, 2012. From the start, it was available from Canal Digital, Stofa, YouSee & TDC TV several community antennas and fiber networks.
In late February 2013 it was announced that the channel after only one year dropped the TV soap The Bold and the Beautiful because of low ratings and again fans of the series started a massive campaign on Facebook trying to get back the series on Danish television until now with no success.
Because of UFC started their own streaming service UFC Fight Pass could Canal 9 & Canal 8 Sport not get the extension of their rights to the UFC PPV and UFC Fight Night, but they would still be able to show the UFC's TV shows like UFC Unleashed, UFC Main Event & classics WEC Events. This was announced on their the Facebook page on January 4, 2014.
On March 1, 2014 it was announced that C More & Canal 9 & Canal 8 Sport in Denmark has made a new deal with UFC, they get the rights to the UFC PPV and UFC Fight Night for 2014 & 2015. This was announced on their the Facebook page.
On March 14, 2014, it emerged that TV4 Group and C More Entertainment, might sell Canal 8 Sport and Canal 9 in Denmark because of the poor economy, according to the newspaper BT, they are currently negotiating with TV 2 Denmark and SBS Discovery Media.
Later on June 26, 2014, it was announced that Discovery Networks Northern Europe and C More Entertainment has entered into an agreement that Discovery Networks Northern Europe has the option to purchase Canal 8 Sport and Canal 9 of C More Entertainment in 2015. The Agreement is an extension of the SBS Discovery Media has just signed a six-year agreement for the rights to two weekly matches from The Danish Superliga. The two matches as SBS Discovery Media bought is the 2nd and 5th match the selection from every round (the matches that Canal 9 has been showing since 2009] and the agreement will take effect from season 2015/16 and will run for six years. And the plan is to continue The Danish Superliga on Canal 8 Sport and Canal 9 after summer 2015.
On September 26, 2014, Discovery Networks Northern Europe announced that they would use the option and buy Canal 8 Sport and Canal 9, the purchase must be approved by the Danish competition authorities and the purchase is expected to take in place during 2015.
On May 27, 2015, The Danish competition authorities announced that they have approved Discovery Networks Northern Europe purchase of Canal 8 Sport & Canal 9, they take over the channels from July 1, 2015.
On May 28, 2015, Discovery Networks Northern Europe announced that they will merge Canal 8 Sport and Eurosport 2 in to Eurosport DK in Denmark from July 1, 2015, and take the rights fra the two channel in to one channel and with the best from Eurosport but now in Danish with more rights targeted the Danish viewers, and with 2,400 hours of live sports a year, Eurosport DK will be the channel with the most live sports hours per year. With sportsrights like football from Danish Superliga, Bundesliga, Major League Soccer, Capital One Cup, UEFA Euro 2016 qualifying, Tennis from ATP Tour, WTA Tour and 3 Grand Slam, Cycling from UCI World Tour, Winter sport, Motorsports and much more. At the same time they also announced that Canal 9 will get a new name at a later time, and will still broadcast documentaries, drama & crime series, movies and sports on weekends.
On June 4, 2015, Discovery Networks Northern Europe announced that they had secured the rights to UEFA Europa League for 3 years from the 2015/16 season. It will be broadcast on Canal 9, 6'eren and Eurosport
On Oktober 29, 2015 it vas announced that Modern Times Group had sold half of the rights to Premier League, La Liga and Serie A to Discovery Networks Northern Europe they will share the rights for 3 years from the 2015/16 season. which meant that the Serie A & La Liga will continue to be broadcast on Canal9 in weekends. 
In the early 2016 Discovery Networks Northern Europe changed the channel into a a retro channel that shows older documentary series from the Discovery Channel and old 80s action & comedy series like Miami Vice, The A-Team, Magnum and M*A*S*H and still with football in the weekends.
Through the years, several sports presenters and commentators have switched to Canal 9 including Klavs Bruun Jørgensen, Stig Tøfting, Erik Rasmussen, Michael Gravgaard, Line Bilenberg, Jesper Simo, Mette Cornelius Esben Hansen and latest Flemming Povlsen in 2014.
- 2018 FIFA World Cup qualification
- UEFA Europa League
- Danish Superliga
- La Liga
- Serie A
- Football League Cup
- Fa Cup
- Copa del Rey
Past Sports Rights
- UEFA Euro 2012 qualifying
- 2011 Copa América
- FIFA World Cup 2010
- Copa del Sol (2010 & 2011)
- Premier League (season 2009/10)
- League Cup (season 2009/10-2011/12)
- The Championship (season 2009/10-2011/12)
- Eredivisie (season 2009/10-2013/14)
- UEFA Euro 2016 qualifying
- Handball Supercup 2009
- Bundesliga (season 2009/10-2010/11)
- EHF Champions League (season 2009/10-2010/11)
- WTA 2009 BGL Luxembourg Open
- WTA 2011 Hong Kong Tennis Classic
- WTA 2011 Swedish Open
- Various tournaments on the ATP Tour (2010-2015)
- TNA iMPACT! (2009–2010)
- TNA PPV (2009–2010)
- The Ultimate Fighter (IX - XV)
- Monster Knockouts
- UFC PPV (2009-2014)
- UFC Fight Night (2009-2014)
- Lingerie Football League (Season 2010/11-2011/12)
- "YouSee afviser ny sportskanal". Mediawatch.dk. March 23, 2009.
- "Canal Digital scorer Canal 9". Mediawatch.dk. March 27, 2009.
- "Canal Digital lancerer CANAL 9 - Danmarks nye tv-kanal med top-fodbold, sport, film og serier" (PDF) (Press release). Canal Digital. March 25, 2009.
- "Canal9 erstatter Kanal København". tvnyt.com. July 17, 2009.
- "Se CANAL9 fra 15. september". YouSee. September 14, 2009.
- "CANAL9". Web.archive.org. 2009-05-15. Archived from the original on 2009-05-15. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
-  Archived September 12, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20090925172126/http://mediawatch.dk/artikel/canal-9-scorer-wozniacki. Archived from the original on September 25, 2009. Retrieved July 21, 2011. Missing or empty
- "Super Cup på Canal 9 [Archive". Sat Universe. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- "Ekstra Bladet - OB og FCK på 'den hemmelige canal'" (in Danish). Ekstrabladet.dk. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- "Vinter-OL på DR1, DR2 og DR HD". Digitalt.Tv. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- "Danske EM 2012 kampe på CANAL9". Digitalt.Tv. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- "TV4-gruppen køber rettighederne til EM i fodbold 2012". Digitalt.Tv. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- "The Championship på tv". Digitalt.Tv. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- "Lingerie Football League på CANAL9". Digitalt.Tv. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- "FC København træningskampe på Canal9". Digitalt.Tv. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20111006231904/http://mediawatch.dk/artikel/bonnier-og-canal9-vinder-pucken. Archived from the original on October 6, 2011. Retrieved July 20, 2011. Missing or empty
- "Copa América på CANAL+". Digitalt.Tv. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- "Swedish Open med Wozniacki på CANAL9". Digitalt.Tv. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- "CANAL+ og CANAL9 har Europa League fra 2012". Digitalt.Tv. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- "CANAL9 og CANAL+ forlænger La Liga-rettigheder til 2015". Digitalt.Tv. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- "The Kennedys på CANAL9". Digitalt.Tv. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- "Ny tv-kanal sender fotball-EM" (in Norwegian Bokmål). kampanje.com. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- "Superliga kun hos Viasat og TV 2 Sport". Digitalt.Tv. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- "CANAL9 fortsætter med Superliga med enkelte kampe på Canal+". Digitalt.Tv. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- "Ekstra Bladet - EM-kval på hemmelig kanal" (in Danish). Ekstrabladet.dk. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- "Den legendariske tv-serie Glamour på CANAL9". Digitalt.Tv. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- "Ishockey-VM på TV 2 SPORT i yderligere tre år". Digitalt.Tv. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- "CANAL+ har forlænget rettighederne til Serie A frem til 2015". Digitalt.Tv. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- "CANAL9 og CANAL8 Sport til Viasat kunder". Digitalt.Tv. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- "Slut med Glamour - sæbeoperaen stopper på Canal9". Digitalt.Tv. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
-  Archived October 6, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Stig Tøfting til Canal 9 - Tv & Radio - Medier" (in Danish). Epn.dk. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- "'Frispark' på Canal9". Tvnyt.com. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- "Ny vært på CANAL9". Digitalt.Tv. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
-  Archived October 6, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- "CANAL9". Canal9.dk. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- "CANAL9 opruster med Mette Cornelius,". Digitalt.Tv. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- "Discovery sælger reklamer for Canal9". tvnyt.com. July 7, 2009.