Canal D logo
|Launched||January 1, 1995|
|Owned by||Bell Media|
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)
|Website||Canal D (French)|
|Bell TV||Channel 129 (SD)
Channel 1872 (HD)
|Shaw Direct||Channel 773 (SD)
Channel 387 / 247 (HD)
|Available on many
|Check local listings|
|Bell Aliant||Channel 856 (SD)
Channel 956 (HD)
|Bell Fibe TV||Channel 125 (SD)
Channel 1125 (HD)
|MTS||Channel 423 (SD)|
|Optik TV||Channel 8008 (SD)
Channel 2008 (HD)
|SaskTel||Channel 261 (SD)|
|Telus Quebec||Channel 42 (SD)
Channel 542 (HD)
|VMedia||Channel 118 (HD) (QC)|
|Zazeen||Channel 206 (HD)|
Canal D is a Canadian French language Category A specialty channel owned by Bell Media. Canal D focuses on documentary programming primarily in the form of documentary-style television series that focus on a variety of topics such as crime, biographies, nature, and science.
In June 1994, Premier Choix: TVEC Inc. (Astral) was granted approval for a television broadcasting licence by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) for a channel called Arts et Divertissement, described as a service modelled after the American service, A&E, at that time. The proposed service was to focus on four main elements: documentaries (for which the service would primarily consist of), films, dramatic series, and arts programming.
The channel was launched on January 1, 1995 as Canal D.
On March 4, 2013, the Competition Bureau approved the takeover of Astral Media by Bell Media. Bell filed a new application for the proposed takeover with the CRTC on March 6, 2013; the CRTC approved the merger on June 27, 2013, effectively turning over control of Canal D to Bell.
Canal D HD
- Saint Pierre and Miquelon - distributed on SPM Telecom systems.
- Decision CRTC 94-286 CRTC 1994-06-06
- BCE takeover of Astral OK’d by Competition Bureau, The Montreal Gazette (via The Canadian Press), March 4, 2013.
- Astral and Bell Comment on New Acquisition Application to CRTC, Broadcaster Magazine, March 6, 2013.
- CRTC approves Bell-Astral merger, CBC News, June 27, 2013. Retrieved July 16, 2013.
- La haute définition en français Infopresse 2006-10-30 (French)