|Launched||4 November 1984|
|Picture format||576i (SDTV)
|Audience share||2.8% (2013, Médiamétrie)|
|Slogan||(in French) Créateur et original depuis 1984
(Creator and original since 1984)
|Headquarters||Issy-les-Moulineaux, Paris, France|
|TNT||Channel 4 (HD)|
|Canalsat||Channels 4 & 9 (SD/HD)
Channel 503 (HD)
Channels 703 & 710 (SD)
|Canalsat||Channel 4 & 9 (SD/HD)
Channel 503 (HD)
Canal+ ("Canal Plus", "C+", French pronunciation: [kanalˈplys], meaning "Channel Plus/More") is a French premium cable television channel launched in 1984. It is 100% owned by the Canal+ Group, which in turn is owned by Vivendi SA. The channel broadcasts several kinds of programming, mostly encrypted. Unencrypted programming can be viewed free of charge on Canal+ and on satellite on Canal+ Clair (Clear).
Canal+ is a supporter of the Hybrid Broadcast Broadband TV (HbbTV) initiative (a consortium of broadcasting and Internet industry companies including SES, OpenTV and Institut für Rundfunktechnik), which promotes and establishes an open European standard for hybrid set-top boxes for the reception of broadcast TV and broadband multimedia applications with a single user interface.
After the announcement about the launch of the fourth French television channel, Canal+ started broadcasting on 4 November 1984. In 1986, the channel had one million subscribers. It has produced numerous films of auteurs, including David Lynch's The Straight Story, Mulholland Dr., and Inland Empire.
With the launch of the digital satellite channel CanalSatellite on 27 April 1996, Canal+ received two new sister channels: Canal+ Jaune and Canal+ Bleu. A fourth channel, called Canal+ Vert came along on 31 August 1998. The channels changed their names to Canal+ Confort (now known as Canal+ Décalé since 2005), Canal+ Cinéma and Canal+ Sport in 1 November 2003.
In September 2005, Canal+, Canal+ Cinéma and Canal+ Sport started broadcasting in the French digital terrestrial television network. The free-to-air parts of Canal+ had already been broadcasting for a few months by then. In August 2008, Canal+ started broadcasting the encrypted parts of its main channel in high-definition in the terrestrial network. Canal+ announced plans to turn off the analogue terrestrial signals by 2010.
An account of the rise of Canal+ and CanalSatellite, and the establishment of the Canal+ Group as a major satellite broadcaster in Europe is given in the book, High Above, which tells the story of the foundation and development of the leading European satellite operator, Astra.
In February 2013, for €29 million per year, Canal+ bought the TV rights for the FIA Formula One World Championship. The same year, the group bought the rights of the English Premier League, the most watched football league in the world.
- Original French TV Shows : Les Guignols de l'info; Groland; H; Jamel Comedy Club; Spiral (Engrenages) ; Mafiosa; Le Journal du Hard; Pigalle la Nuit; La Commune; Braquo; Reporters; Scalp; Le Grand Journal; La Matinale; Le petit journal; La Nouvelle Edition; Lundi Investigation; Canal Football Club; Dimanche+; Maison Close; Les Revenants; The Spy
- Original French/British TV Show : The Tunnel
- Original French/German TV Show : Borgia
- Kids Shows : Rugrats (Les Razmokets) ; Teletubbies; Kaeloo; Mia and Me and The Cramp Twins.
- American TV Shows : 24 (24 heures chrono) ; 30 Rock; Big Love; Cold Case; Damages; Desperate Housewives; Dexter; FlashForward; How I Met Your Mother; It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (Philadelphia) ; Mad Men; Nurse Jackie; Pushing Daisies; Royal Pains; The Daily Show; The L Word; The New Adventures of Old Christine (Old Christine) ; The Office; The Pacific; The Secret Life of the American Teenager (La Vie Secrète d'une Ado Ordinaire) ; The Shield; Two and a Half Men (Mon Oncle Charlie) ; Vampire Diaries; Weeds and United States of Tara; also Boomtown; Rome; Six Feet Under; Spin City; Surface and Will & Grace, Game of Thrones.
- American animated TV Shows : American Dad!; Drawn Together; Family Guy (Les Griffin) ; South Park and The Tom and Jerry Show.
- American reality TV Shows : The Simple Life.
- Japanese animated TV Shows : Fullmetal Alchemist; Monster; Noir and Samurai Champloo.
- British TV Shows : Skins; Merlin; Wire in the Blood; The Office and Spooks (MI-5).
- Irish/Canadian TV Shows : The Tudors (Les Tudors).
- Canadian TV shows : Flashpoint; Little Mosque on the Prairie, Life with Derek, Naturally Sadie, Total Drama: Revenge of the Island.
|Wikinews has related news: Canadian television show to debut in French speaking countries|
- Canadian/French TV Shows : Donkey Kong Country (Donkey Kong)
- French erotic TV series : X Femmes (2008–2009)
- South Korean TV Series : Larva (2011-)
Les Chaînes Canal+
Les Chaînes Canal+ is the brand name used for all the Canal+-branded channels in France. Prior to 2008 it was called Canal+ Le Bouquet.
|Canal+||1984||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||16:9 SDTV||24 hours|
|Canal+ HD||2006||previously known as Canal+ 16/9 then as Canal+ Hi-Tech||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||16:9 HDTV||24 hours|
|Canal+ Cinéma||1996||A dedicated movie channel, previously known as Canal+ Jaune||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||16:9 SDTV||24 hours|
|Canal+ Cinéma HD||2010||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||1080i HDTV||24 hours|
|Canal+ Sport||1998||A sports channel, previously known as Canal+ Vert||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||16:9 SDTV||24 hours|
|Canal+ Sport HD||2010||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||1080i HDTV||24 hours|
|Canal+ Family||2007||A channel broadcasting familial programmes, series and cartoons||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||16:9 SDTV||24 hours|
|Canal+ Family HD||2010||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||1080i HDTV||24 hours|
|Canal+ Séries||2013||A channel broadcasting series||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||16:9 SDTV||24 hours|
|Canal+ Séries HD||2013||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||1080i HDTV||24 hours|
|Canal+ Décalé||1996||Shows repeats of programs shown on Canal+, previously known as Canal+ Bleu||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||16:9 SDTV||24 hours|
|Canal+ Décalé HD||2010||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||1080i HDTV||24 hours|
|Canal 8||2013||A channel broadcasting entertainment programmes and films. It is free-to-air.||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||1080i HDTV||24 hours|
|Canal Star||2016||A channel broadcasting music videos and reality shows and documentaries. It is free-to-air.||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||1080i HDTV||24 hours|
|Canal News||2016||A 24-hour News channel. It is free-to-air||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||1080i HDTV||24 hours|
As Canal+ was launched in new markets the brand has been used in several countries. When launching additional channels the channels were usually given colour-coded names, such as Canal+ Blue, Canal+ Green and Canal+ Yellow. Many of these subsidiaries have been sold and as of 2007, only the Spanish and Polish Canal+ were partially owned by French Canal+.
- Canal+ Spain, launched in 1990 in Spain by Sogecable as an analogue pay channel, similar to the French version. In 2015 The largest Spanish telecommunications company Telefónica received the approved and closed the acquisition of Canal +, now renamed Movistar+.
- Canal+ Flanders, became Canal+ when FilmNet was bought. Later sold and is now known as Prime TV (Telenet, a subsidiary of Liberty Global).
- Canal+ Belgium, now known as BeTV. It shares many common programs with the French channels. It is owned by VOO, a public telco in Wallonia.
- Canal+ Poland. The channel is called Canal+, the satellite platform nc+
- Canal+ Scandinavia, launched as Canal+ in 1997 with the integration of the FilmNet channels. The company was sold and renamed C More Entertainment, although the brand Canal+ was still used. It was purchased by the SBS Broadcasting Group in 2005, which was merged with ProSiebenSat.1 Media in 2007. In 2008, an agreement was made to sell the channels to TV4 Group. Since 2012 it is called C-More.
- Tele+ Digitale, the Italian branch sold in 2003 to News Corp. and fused with Stream TV, the direct competitor. Now, it is called Sky Italia.
- Premiere, a German premium television channel and platform launched in 1990, was founded by Canal+, Bertelsmann and Kirch. A few years later, Canal+ sold its share of Premiere. It is now known as Sky Deutschland and is owned by the UK's Sky plc.
- Movie Network, an Australian premium television service launched in 1995, was founded as a partnership between Canal+, HBO (a subsidiary of Time Warner), The Walt Disney Company, MGM/UA and Village Roadshow. A few years later, Canal+ dropped out from the partnership.
- In May 2009, K+ founded by Canal+ and VTV was launched. K+ serves Digital and Satellite Paid Televisions in Vietnam.
- Canal+ Horizons, launched as Canal Horizons in 1990, is the channel in Africa.
- Official website (in French)