Canary Wharf DLR station
Station viewed from the south
|Local authority||Tower Hamlets|
|Managed by||Docklands Light Railway|
|Number of platforms||6 (facing 3 tracks)|
|OSI||Canary Wharf |
|DLR annual boardings and alightings|
|Lists of stations|
|London transport portal|
Canary Wharf is a Docklands Light Railway (DLR) station in the Canary Wharf (within the estate) in East London. The station was built into the base of One Canada Square itself, between two parts of a shopping centre, it serves the Canary Wharf office complex. The station itself has six platforms serving three rail tracks and is sheltered by a distinctive elliptical glass roof.
The station is located on the DLR between Heron Quays station and West India Quay station. Canary Wharf is presently a terminus for the Stratford-Lewisham Line and services now only run to Lewisham in peak hours. The station is shown on the Tube map as being within walking distance of Canary Wharf Underground station; however, Heron Quays DLR station is indicated as closer by around 50 metres.
Canary Wharf station had been part of the original DLR plans, but when the system opened in August 1987 the station was not ready. It was originally planned that the station would be similar to the original station at Heron Quays, with two small platforms either side of the tracks. It soon became apparent that the Canary Wharf development would produce demand well above the capacity of a simple station. On 17 July 1987 (over a month before the DLR opened to the public) a contract was awarded to GEC-Mowlem Railway Group to rebuild the station into the considerably more elaborate and spacious design that exists today. It was opened in November 1991.
Rail service and frequency
Canary Wharf is served by two lines of the DLR — Bank to Lewisham and Stratford to Lewisham. Service to Bank comes at 3.5 minute intervals from 6.30am to 10.00am; four minute intervals from 4.30pm to 7.30pm; seven minutes intervals from 7.30pm to 9pm; and ten minute intervals from 5.30am to 6.30am, 10am to 4pm, and 9pm to 12.30am. There are also occasional services between Tower Gateway and Lewisham or Crossharbour.
- "Step free Tube Guide" (PDF). Transport for London. January 2019. Archived (PDF) from the original on 11 March 2019.
- "Out-of-Station Interchanges" (Microsoft Excel). Transport for London. 2 January 2016. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- Transport for London (12 February 2013). "Freedom of Information DLR usage 1213". Transport for London. Retrieved 10 November 2013.
- "Up-to-date DLR entry/exit statistics for each station" (XLSX). What Do They Know. Transport for London. 18 March 2016. Retrieved 2 April 2016.
- "Passenger Numbers - Docklands Light Railway Limited" (XLSX (after downloading zip)). What Do They Know. Transport for London. 8 June 2017. Retrieved 11 September 2017.
- Canary Wharf - Transport for London TfL official site Retrieved 3 September 2007
- Tube map TfL official site Retrieved 3 September 2007
- DLR history timeline TfL official site Retrieved 3 September 2007
- DLR frequencies TfL official site Retrieved 4 September 2007
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Canary Wharf DLR station.|
|Preceding station||DLR||Following station|
|Docklands Light Railway||
(eastbound West India Quay Bypass)
|Out of system interchange|
|Preceding station||London Underground||Following station|
Transfer at: Canary Wharf
|Preceding station||Crossrail||Following station|
Transfer at: Canary Wharf
towards Abbey Wood