20 October 1988 |
Mooi River, Kwa-Zulu Natal, South Africa
|Partner(s)||Hermann Nicoli (2005–present)|
|Height||1.77 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)|
Candice Susan Swanepoel (// SWON-ə-pool; Afrikaans: [svɐnɛˈpul] born 20 October 1988) is a South African supermodel, best known for her work with Victoria's Secret. In 2012, she came in 10th on the Forbes top-earning models list.
Swanepoel was born to Willem and Eileen Swanepoel and raised in Mooi River, South Africa, to an Afrikaner family of Dutch descent. She has one brother named Stephen. At age 15, she was spotted by a model scout in a Durban flea market.
She is fluent in Afrikaans, English and Portuguese, the last of which she learned from her boyfriend, Hermann Nicoli, a Brazilian male model. She has been dating him ever since they met in Paris when she was 17. In August 2015, the couple announced their engagement. In March 2016, it was reported that she is pregnant with the couple's first child.
Swanepoel has appeared in editorials in American, Italian, British, Spanish, German, Russian, Australian, Brazilian, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, and Mexican Vogue; British, Italian, and Chinese Elle; American and Korean Harper's Bazaar;V, Allure, and W.
Swanepoel has appeared on the covers of Australian, Brazilian, Mexican, Korean, Greek, Spanish, Portuguese, Japanese and Italian Vogue, Brazilian, British, German and South African Elle, British, South African, Romanian, Mexican and Chinese GQ, Turkish, Spanish, Czech and Argentine Harper's Bazaar, i-D, Lush and Ocean Drive (U.S.).
Swanepoel has walked the runway for Fendi, Chanel, Tommy Hilfiger, Dolce and Gabbana, Michael Kors, Donna Karan, Giambattista Valli, Jason Wu, Prabal Gurung, Rag & Bone, Oscar de la Renta, Elie Saab, Diane von Fürstenberg, Sportmax, Betsey Johnson, Stella McCartney, Viktor and Rolf, Givenchy, Jean Paul Gaultier, Christian Dior, Blumarine, and Ralph Lauren. She has appeared in advertising campaigns for Tom Ford, Oscar De La Renta, Givenchy, Miu Miu, Rag & Bone, Ralph Lauren, Shiatzy Chen, Versace, Diesel, Guess?, Tommy Hilfiger, Prabal Gurung, Swarovski, Colcci, True Religion, Nike, Juicy Couture,   as well as for Victoria's Secret since 2007. In addition to appearing in the lingerie brand's commercials, she was a featured model in the 2010 "SWIM" catalog, along with Lindsay Ellingson, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, Behati Prinsloo, and Erin Heatherton.
In 2010, Swanepoel became a Victoria's Secret Angel. Swanepoel modeled for the Kardashians' 2010 swimwear line. On 12 August 2010, Swanepoel officially opened the first Victoria's Secret retail store in Canada, at West Edmonton Mall, Edmonton. In 2013, Swanepoel was named the cover model of the coveted Victoria's Secret Swim Catalogue. Swanepoel was chosen to wear the "Fantasy Bra" in the 2013 Victoria's Secret Fashion Show. The 10 million dollar bra, named the "Royal Fantasy Bra", was created by Mouawad. The bra and its matching belt featured over 4,200 precious gems, including rubies, diamonds and yellow sapphires set in 18 carat gold with a 52-carat ruby at the center. The "Royal Fantasy Bra" is the most expensive Fantasy Bra since the 2005 "Sexy Splendor Fantasy Bra" worn by Gisele Bündchen.
Swanepoel made her debut at No. 10 on Forbes' "The World's Top-Earning Models" list, with estimated earnings of $3 million between 2010 and 2011. She was ranked No. 9 in 2013 with estimated earnings of $3.3 million. In 2015, she was ranked No 8 with earnings of $5 million.
Charities, causes and opinions
Like fellow model Christy Turlington, Swanepoel is actively involved in Mother2Mother, a charity devoted to achieving an "HIV-free generation" of children and mothers in Africa. Swanepoel has designed denims for it.
- "Candice Swanepoel: About". IMG Models. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- "FMD Profile of Candice Swanepoel". Fashionmodeldirectory.com. Retrieved 3 July 2011.
- "Pronunciation: Candice Swanepoel". Forvo. Retrieved 20 April 2014.;
- Vasilieva, Aneliya (28 May 2012). "Focus on Models: Candice Swanepoel". Fashion Style Magazine. Retrieved 24 September 2014.
- Solomon, Brian (14 June 2012). "The World's Highest Paid Models". Forbes. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- Blasberg, Derek (18 December 2012). "A Candid Interview with the Impossibly Beautiful Candice". Mr. Blasberg. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- "Model Profile: Candice Swanepoel". New York. Retrieved 19 June 2013.
- Arthurs, Deborah (6 June 2012). "What's her Secret? Angel Candice Swanepoel is the ultimate beach babe in lingerie giant's new campaign". Daily Mail. London. Retrieved 2 February 2015. (Raised.)
- Govender, Devi Sankaree (presenter); First Edit (producer) (29 May 2005). "Mooiriver magic". Carte Blanche. M-Net. Archived from the original on 13 December 2007. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- "'Pretendo morar no Brasil', conta a angel Candice Swanepoel.Confira!" ['I want to live in Brazil', says the angel Candice Swanepoel. Confira!] (in Portuguese). 180graus. 29 January 2011. Archived from the original on 5 April 2012. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- WeLoveModels (28 January 2011). "Candice Swanepoel para WLM". YouTube. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- "GQ Girl: Candice Swanepoel". GQ South Africa. May 2010. Archived from the original on 13 July 2011. Retrieved 2 February 2015. (Full article, pp. cover, 8, 66–72.)
- Bacardi, Francesca (15 August 2015). "Candice Swanepoel Is Engaged! Model Set to Marry Longtime Boyfriend Hermann Nicoli". E! Online. Retrieved 15 August 2015.
- Marquina, Sierra (18 March 2016). "Candice Swanepoel Pregnant, Expecting First Child With Fiance Hermann Nicoli". Us Weekly Magazine. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- Candice Swanepoel [angelcandices] (May 17, 2016). "My Not so little boy 👶🏼💙". Instagram. Retrieved May 21, 2016.
- "Go Behind the Scenes of the Victoria's Secret Swim Catalog!". ETonline.com. 5 January 2010. Archived from the original on 7 January 2010. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- Mah, Bill (27 July 2010). "Cosmo supermodel coming for Victoria's Secret kickoff". Edmonton Journal. Archived from the original on 29 July 2010.
- Apatoff, Alex (16 October 2013). "The Victoria's Secret Angel Wearing This Year's $10 Million Fantasy Bra Is ... (Drumroll)". People. StyleWatch (column). Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- "Candice Swanepoel — South African Angel". FHM. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- "2014 HOT 100 List: #1Candice Swanepoel". Maxim. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- Blankfeld, Keren, & Steven Bertoni (5 May 2011). "The World's Top-Earning Models". Forbes. Retrieved 11 May 2011.
- Meadows, Holly (30 January 2015). "CANDICE SWANEPOEL DESIGNS DENIMS FOR SA CHARITY". Elle South Africa. Retrieved 26 October 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Candice Swanepoel.|