Candy (TV series)
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||5|
|Running time||46–55 minutes|
|Distributor||Disney Platform Distribution (International) |
NBCUniversal Syndication Studios
|Original release||May 9 –|
May 13, 2022
Candy is an American biographical crime drama streaming television miniseries created by Nick Antosca and Robin Veith. The series stars Jessica Biel as the real-life Candy Montgomery, who was accused of the axe murder of her neighbor, Betty Gore (played by Melanie Lynskey) in 1980, in Texas. It premiered on May 9, 2022, on Hulu, with a new episode for five nights until May 13.
- Jessica Biel as Candy Montgomery
- Melanie Lynskey as Betty Gore
- Pablo Schreiber as Allan Gore
- Timothy Simons as Pat Montgomery
- Raúl Esparza as Don Crowder
- Jessie Mueller as Sherry Cleckler
- Adam Bartley as Richard
- Justin Timberlake as Deputy Steve Deffibaugh
- Jason Ritter as Deputy Denny Reese
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date|
|1||"Friday the 13th"||Michael Uppendahl||Story by : Nick Antosca & Robin Veith|
Teleplay by : Robin Veith
|May 9, 2022|
|Candy Montgomery goes about her day while Allan Gore tries to get a hold of his wife, Betty.|
|2||"Happy Wife, Happy Life"||Jennifer Getzinger||David Matthews||May 10, 2022|
|Candy and Betty try to fill the voids in their lives.|
|3||"Overkill"||Ben Semanoff||Brett Johnson||May 11, 2022|
|Candy and Betty relish in new friendships.|
|4||"Cover Girl"||Tara Nicole Weyr||Elise Brown||May 12, 2022|
|The truth closes on the Montgomerys.|
|5||"The Fight"||Michael Uppendahl||Brett Johnson & David Matthews and Robin Veith||May 13, 2022|
|Candy tells her story.|
In July 2020, it was announced UCP was developing a series revolving around Candy Montgomery, with Robin Veith writing the pilot for the series, and Nick Antosca set to executive produce under his Eat the Cat banner, with no network attached. In December 2020, it was announced Hulu had landed the series. In October 2021, it was announced Elisabeth Moss, who was originally set to star as Candy, had to drop out due to scheduling conflicts and would be replaced by Jessica Biel.
Candy premiered on the streaming service Hulu in the United States on May 9, 2022, with new episodes airing for five subsequent nights until May 13. Hulu majority-owner Disney has also confirmed that Candy will be coming to its Disney+ Hotstar service in India, but as of mid-June 2022 has not set airdates for it.
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the limited series holds a 71% approval rating based on 34 critic reviews, with an average rating of 6.5/10. The website's critics consensus reads, "Candy's sour aftertaste is counterbalanced by uniformly terrific performances, but it only takes a couple licks before this true crime drama loses its flavor." On Metacritic, the series has a score of 64 out of 100, based on 10 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
Josh Bell of CBR.com stated that the series manages to provide a late 1970s aesthetic through its decor and costumes, complimented how the miniseries succeeds to depict the struggles of the main characters through its dark tone, and praised Biel's performance as Candy Montgomery, while complimenting the rest of the supporting actors. Brian Lowry of CNN found that Candy manages to be more effective than most true crime drama series, stating that Biel and Lynskey's performances are convincing and well-rendered, while complimenting how the miniseries manages to provide solid additional scripted elements compared to other contemporary series of the same genre. Joel Keller of Decider praised the performances of the cast, especially Biel and Lynskey's, and found interesting the choice to start the miniseries with Betty Gore's death, followed by the reconstitution of what has occurred between the characters in the later episodes. Matt Fowler of IGN rated the miniseries 7 out of 10 and complimented the performances of the cast members, while praising how the show manages to keep an atmosphere of tension without providing too much information during its first episodes. Maggie Boccella of Collider gave the miniseries a C+ rating and claimed that the show manages to be a satisfactory true crime drama, while praising the performances of the actors, but criticized the lack of development of the characters.
- "Candy". Writers Guild of America West. January 31, 2022. Retrieved April 18, 2022.
- Otterson, Joe (July 7, 2020). "Elisabeth Moss to Play Killer Candy Montgomery in Limited Series for UCP". Variety. Retrieved April 7, 2022.
- Grobar, Matt (March 17, 2022). "'Candy' Teaser, First-Look Photos: Jessica Biel Stars As Housewife Turned Murderess Candy Montgomery In Hulu Limited Series From 'The Act' EPs". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 7, 2022.
- White, Peter (December 2, 2020). "Hulu Lands Elisabeth Moss True Crime Drama Series 'Candy' From UCP". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 7, 2022.
- Porter, Rick (2021-10-05). "Jessica Biel Replaces Elisabeth Moss in Hulu True-Crime Drama 'Candy'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2022-05-19.
- Ho, Rodney (January 15, 2022). "What's filming in Georgia in January 2022?". Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Retrieved June 17, 2022.
- Crowley, James (February 16, 2022). "Jessica Biel Looks Unrecognizable As Killer Candy Montgomery While Filming New Miniseries". Hollywood Life. Retrieved April 7, 2022.
- Singer, Dan (February 24, 2022). "Here's where two shows about D-FW ax killer Candy Montgomery are filming". The Dallas Morning News. Archived from the original on February 25, 2022. Retrieved April 18, 2022.
- "Escaype Live, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Home Shanti, and More on Hotstar in May".
- "Candy: Season 1". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved May 9, 2022.
- "Candy: Season 1". Metacritic. Red Ventures. Retrieved May 7, 2022.
- Bell, Josh (May 6, 2022). "REVIEW: Hulu's Candy Delivers a Familiar But Effective True-Crime Drama". CBR.com. Retrieved May 9, 2022.
- Lowry, Brian (May 9, 2022). "'Candy' turns infidelity and death into an old-fashioned true crime treat". CNN. Retrieved May 9, 2022.
- Keller, Joel (May 9, 2022). "Stream It Or Skip It: 'Candy' On Hulu, Where Jessica Biel And Melanie Lynskey Star In A Dramatization Of The Candy Montgomery Case". Decider. Retrieved May 9, 2022.
- Fowler, Matt (May 9, 2022). "Hulu's Candy Premiere Review - "Friday the 13th"". IGN. Retrieved May 9, 2022.
- Boccella, Maggie (May 4, 2022). "'Candy': Hulu's True Crime Drama Is Bittersweet at Best | Review". Collider. Retrieved May 9, 2022.