Gourlay in 2013
Maria Cristina Lopez Quimpo|
Davao City, Philippines
Ateneo de Manila University, 1984|
Saint Theresa's College of Quezon City, 1980
|Genre||Children's Books, Fiction, Middle Grade, Teen Novels, Young Adult|
|Notable works||Tall Story (2010), Shine (2013)|
Crystal Kite Prize for Europe |
National Children's Book Award of the Philippines
Crystal Kite Prize for Europe
Candy Gourlay (formerly Candy Quimpo) is a Filipino author based in the United Kingdom. Her debut novel Tall Story (2010) won the National Children's Book Award of the Philippines in 2012 and the Crystal Kite Award for Europe in 2011. Tall Story was shortlisted for 13 prizes, notably: the Waterstones Children's Book Prize, the Branford Boase Award, the Blue Peter Book Award and the UKLA Children's Book Prize. It was nominated for the Carnegie Medal. Her second novel Shine (2013) was longlisted for the Guardian Children's Fiction Prize. It won the Crystal Kite Award for the British Isles in 2014.
Candy Gourlay was born and raised in the Philippines. From 1984 to 1989, she worked as a journalist in the Philippines, notably as a staffwriter and later associate editor of the weekly opposition tabloid Mr & Ms Special Edition, which played a significant role in the overthrow of the 21 year regime of Filipino dictator Ferdinand Marcos.
- 1984 Staff Writer, Mr & Ms Special Edition (Manila)
- 1985 Associate Editor, Mr & Ms Special Edition (Manila)
- 1986 Desk Editor, Philippine Daily Inquirer (Manila)
- 1987 Correspondent, Asia Magazine (Manila)
- 1989 Staff Writer, Marketing Magazine (London)
- 1990 London Correspondent, Inter Press Service (London)
- 2005 Presenter and Writer, Motherless Nation, BBC Radio 4 documentary on the social impact of Philippine migration
- Hinabing Gunita (Woven Memories): Filipinos in the United Kingdom (London: Centre for Filipinos, 2004)
- Animal Tricksters (Oxford University Press, 2010) – "Oxford reading tree. Stage 10, Treetops myths and legends" OCLC 495598126.
- Tall Story (Oxford: David Fickling Books, 2010)
- Shine (David Fickling, 2013)
- de Vera, Ruel (21 September 2014). "Identity crisis spawns 2 books by awarded, UK-based Filipino Candy Gourlay". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 26 September 2014.
- "Waterstones Children's Book Prize 2011".
- "Tribute to 'totally funky grandma' wins Waterstone's children's book prize".
- "Blue Peter Book Award 2011".
- "Shortlists announced today for the 2011 UKLA Children's Book Award".
- "The CILIP Carnegie Medal Nominations for 2011".
- "Judges praise diverse shortlist for the Guardian Children's Fiction prize 2014".
- "About Candy Gourlay".
- "Tita Eggie's Show Don't Tell Brand of Storytelling".
- "The Story of Us".
- "Interview: Candy Gourlay".
- "Chronicling the lives of Filipino women in Britain". Woman's Hour. BBC Radio4.