Candyfreak : A Journey through the Chocolate Underbelly of America is a non-fiction book written by Steve Almond. It is about a trip that he took in which he searched for candy bars made by small companies. He traveled to factories across the country. It was widely reviewed. It was featured as a "Staff Pick" at Powells.com.
Candies featured in his book include:
- Clark Bar
- Marathon bar
- Haviland Thin Mints
- Five Star Bars
- Peanut Chews
- Goo Goo Cluster
- Twin Bing
- Idaho Spud
- Big Hunk
- Anderman, Joan (13 July 2004). "Sweet obsession". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 3 February 2009.
- Goldbogen, Jessica (20 April 2004). "Oh, Sugar Sugar". The Village Voice. Retrieved 3 February 2009.
- Danford, Natalie (25 April 2004). "This Fellow's Sweet Tooth Is Way Out of Control". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved 3 February 2009.
- Gilson, Dave (2 May 2004). "Little bars melt in land of candy giants". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved 3 February 2009.
- "Powell's Books - Candyfreak: A Journey Through the Chocolate Underbelly of America". Retrieved 3 February 2009.