Location of Caneyville within Kentucky.
|• Mayor||James P. Embry|
|• Total||1.6 sq mi (4.2 km2)|
|• Land||1.6 sq mi (4.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||492 ft (150 m)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Area code(s)||270 & 364|
|GNIS feature ID||0488876|
Caneyville is a 6th-class city in Grayson County, Kentucky, in the United States. The population was 627 at the 2000 census. Named for its location on Caney Creek, Caneyville had a post office by 1837 and a town charter by 1840 and was incorporated by the state legislature in 1880.
Caneyville is located at .
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.6 square miles (4.1 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 627 people, 281 households, and 168 families residing in the city. The population density was 384.8 people per square mile (148.5/km²). There were 321 housing units at an average density of 197.0 per square mile (76.0/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 99.52% White, 0.16% African American, 0.16% Native American, and 0.16% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.16% of the population.
There were 281 households out of which 28.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 44.5% were married couples living together, 12.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 40.2% were non-families. 37.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 19.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.23 and the average family size was 2.98.
In the city the population was spread out with 24.7% under the age of 18, 11.3% from 18 to 24, 25.8% from 25 to 44, 20.9% from 45 to 64, and 17.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 82.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 82.2 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $17,273, and the median income for a family was $23,750. Males had a median income of $25,625 versus $17,361 for females. The per capita income for the city was $12,820. About 23.9% of families and 30.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 45.5% of those under age 18 and 22.8% of those age 65 or over.
Its principal highway is U.S. Highway 62, an east-west route.
Sites of interest
There is a Plain Anabaptist, horse-and-buggy community of about 15 families in Caneyville, called Caneyville Christian Community. This community has much in common with Old Order Mennonites and Amish, but does not belong to either of these two groups. Caneyville Christian Community lives mostly of produce, they sell, and the manufacture of wood stoves.
The former Caneyville High School, despite its small enrollment, was well known for its boys' basketball team, which reached the "Sweet 16," the Kentucky State Boys Basketball Tournament, in 1962 and 1968.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Caneyville has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
- "Dictionary of Places: Caneyville". Encyclopedia of Kentucky. New York, New York: Somerset Publishers. 1987. ISBN 0-403-09981-1.
- Rennick, Robert M. Kentucky Place Names. The University Press of Kentucky (Lexington), 1988. ISBN 0-8131-0179-4.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- G.C. Waldrep :"The New Order Amish And Para-Amish Groups: Spiritual Renewal Within Tradition." in Mennonite Quarterly Review 3 (2008), page 417.
- George Calvin Waldrep: The New Order Amish And Para-Amish Groups: Spiritual Renewal Within Tradition, in The Mennonite Quarterly Review 82 (2008), page 420.
- Climate Summary for Caneyville, Kentucky