This article does not cite any sources. (April 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Cangas do Morrazo
|Town and municipality|
Location of Cangas
|Parishes||Aldán, Cangas, Coiro, Darbo, O Hío|
|• Body||Concello de Cangas|
|• Mayor||Xosé Manuel Pazos (2015) (ACE)|
|• Total||38.1 km2 (14.7 sq mi)|
|Elevation||9 m (30 ft)|
|• Density||670/km2 (1,700/sq mi)|
cangueiro, -ra (traditional).
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Postal code||36940 - 36949|
Cangas, also known as Cangas do Morrazo, is a seaside resort in southwestern Galicia, Spain. It is both a town and municipality in the province of Pontevedra. Its area is about 38,1 km² and has a population of around 26,087 inhabitants.
The municipality of Cangas is administered by a mayor-council government, the Concello de Cangas, which meets in the Casa do Concello on Avenida Castelao. After the local elections of 2015 the municipality is governed by a coalition of Cangas Left Alternative (coalition of United Left and the FPG), the Galician Nationalist Bloc and Assembly for Unity (ASpUN).
The municipality of Cangas is divided into six parishes:
- Aldán (San Cibrán)
- Cangas (Santiago)
- Coiro (San Salvador)
- Darbo (Santa María de Afuera)
- O Hío (San Andrés)
Each parish has its own religious festival which honours the patron saint of the parish and smaller, minor festivals dedicated to the patron saints of local chapels. These celebrations both start and end with the firing of fireworks followed by a religious service.
- Fiestas del Cristo del Consuelo, Last Sunday of August.
- Fiestas de San Blas, 3 February
- Fiestas de Santa Marta, Last Saturday of July
- Fiestas de San Pedro, End of June
- Romería de San Roque, 3rd week of August
- Romería de Darbo, 6,7,8 and 9 September.
- Fiestas del Espíritu Santo, Pentecost
- Fiestas de Santo Domingo, Start of August
- Fiestas de San Salvador, 6 & 7 August
- Fiestas de San Cosme, 26 September
- Fiestas do muiño, 1st Sunday of May.
- Fiestas de San Amaro, Mid-January
- Fiestas de Santa Mariña, 18 July
- Fiestas del Carmen, Last weekend of July
- Fiestas del Cristo d e la Luz, 1st Sunday of July
- Fiestas de Santiago de Donón, 25 July
- Fiestas de San Lorenzo, 10 August
- Fiestas de San Andrés, 30 November
- Fiesta del Aguardiente, Weekend prior to the Fiestas del Cristo de la Luz.
- Lajes do Pico (2003)
- María Soliño, alleged witch
- Xohán de Cangas, troubador
- Ángel Botello, painter, sculptor and graphic artist (1913-1986)
- Bernardino Graña, writer (1932-)
- Suso Soliño, handball player (1975-)
- Carlos Pérez, canoer (1979-)
- David Cal, canoer (1982-)
- Teresa Portela, canoer (1982-)
- Solange Pereira, athlete (1989-)
|This article about a location in the autonomous community of Galicia, Spain is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|