Cannon Movie Tales
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2011)|
|Cannon Movie Tales|
|Distributed by||The Cannon Group|
|Budget||US$1.5 million (per film)|
Cannon Movie Tales is the collective name for a series of films created in the late 1980s by Cannon Group producers Menahem Golan and Yoram Globus, associate producer Patricia Ruben, and executive producer Itzik Kol. Filmed principally on location in Israel, these stories are generally fairy tales based on material by either the Brothers Grimm or Charles Perrault, among others. Major stars, from both the U.S. and Great Britain, play the leading roles, in which they are joined by a mostly all-Israeli cast. The major Israeli-born member of the crew was the series' production designer, Marek Dobrowolski. Announced as early as May 1986 (at the Cannes Film Festival), Cannon initiated the project as its answer to Disney's fairy-tale offerings, and invested US$50 million in the series. Sixteen stories, each costing US$1.5 million, were originally planned; only nine were released.
||This section contains embedded lists that may be poorly defined, unverified or indiscriminate. (September 2011)|
- The Frog Prince (1986) aka "Cannon Movie Tales: The Frog Prince"; writer-director: Jackson Hunsicker. Aileen Quinn, Helen Hunt, Clive Revill, John Paragon.
- Sleeping Beauty (1987) aka "Cannon Movie Tales: Sleeping Beauty" – USA (series title); writer; Michael Berz; director: David Irving. Tahnee Welch, Kenny Baker, Morgan Fairchild, Sylvia Miles, David Holliday, Nicholas Clay.
- The Emperor's New Clothes (1987) aka "Cannon Movie Tales: The Emperor's New Clothes" – USA (video title); writers: David Irving, Len Talan and Anna Matthias; director: David Irving. Sid Caesar, Clive Revill, Robert Morse, Lysette Anthony.
- Rumpelstiltskin (1987) aka "Cannon Movie Tales: Rumpelstiltskin" – USA (series title); writer-director: David Irving. Amy Irving, Billy Barty, Clive Revill, Priscilla Pointer, John Moulder-Brown.
- Snow White (1987) aka "Cannon Movie Tales: Snow White" – USA (series title), "Snow White: A Cannon Movie Tale" – USA (closing credits title); writer-director: Michael Berz. Diana Rigg, Billy Barty, Mike Edmonds, Malcolm Dixon, Sarah Patterson, Nicola Stapleton.
- Beauty and the Beast (1987) aka "Cannon Movie Tales: Beauty and the Beast" – USA (series title); writer: Carole Lucia Satrina; director: Eugene Marner. John Savage, Rebecca De Mornay.
- Hansel and Gretel (1987) aka "Cannon Movie Tales: Hansel and Gretel" – USA (series title); writers: Len Talan and Nancy Weems; director: Len Talan. David Warner, Cloris Leachman, Hugh Pollard, Nicola Stapleton.
- Puss in Boots (1988) aka "Cannon Movie Tales: Puss in Boots" – USA (series title); writer: Carole Lucia Satrina; director: Eugene Marner. Christopher Walken, Jason Connery, Carmela Marner, Yossi Graber.
- Red Riding Hood (1989) aka "Cannon Movie Tales: Red Riding Hood"; writer: Carole Lucia Satrina; director: Adam Brooks. Isabella Rosselini, Craig T. Nelson, Amelia Shankley.
- Kasindorf, Martin (May 17, 1987). "Cannes: From Godard to the Go-Go Boys". Newsday. p. 7 (Part II).
- Mathews, Jack (May 14, 1986). "It's Cannes Without Chaos This Year". Los Angeles Times. p. 6 (Calendar; Entertainment Desk). Retrieved September 24, 2011.
- New York Times News Services (October 20, 1986). "10 major directors set for 'Aria'". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. p. 14. Retrieved September 24, 2011.
- Darnton, Nina (September 7, 1986). "Season Preview: Film; Major Directors Offering Their Wares". The New York Times. Retrieved September 24, 2011.