Cannone da 65/17 modello 13
|65 mm mountain gun|
|Place of origin||Italy|
|Used by||Italy, Kingdom of Albania|
|Wars||World War I, Spanish Civil War, World War II|
|Weight||560 kg (1,225 lb) (combat ready)|
|Barrel length||1.1 m (3 ft 7 in) L/17|
|Shell||4.3 kilograms (9.5 lb)|
|Caliber||65 mm (2.55 in)|
|Carriage||Drawn single trail|
|Elevation||-10° to +20°|
|Muzzle velocity||345 m/s (1,130 ft/s)|
|Effective firing range||6.8 km (4.2 mi)|
The cannone da 65/17 modello 13 was an artillery piece developed by Italy for use with its mountain and infantry units. The designation means 65 mm calibre gun, barrel length 17 calibres, which entered service in 1913. The designation is often shortened to cannone da 65/17.
A lightweight design, the 65 mm gun was designed for use in difficult terrain and extreme weather conditions. The barrel had a 17 calibre length, and was designed for firing low-trajectory shots. The carriage was likewise simple in nature, consisting of a single trailing arm and solid-rim spoked wheels for horse draft. The weapon could be broken-down into five loads for transport. A simple folding gun shield was also provided in 1935.
The 65 mm gun was first accepted into service with Italian mountain troops in 1913, and it served with them throughout World War I. Replacements arrived in the 1920s and the gun was transferred to the regular infantry. It was well liked by the infantry due to its minimal weight and high reliability in adverse conditions. Despite its light calibre, it served through World War II with Italian forces as a close support weapon. It was effective also mounted on truck, in North Africa, as anti-tank artillery.
- List of mountain artillery
- Canon de 65 M(montagne) modele 1906, a French mountain artillery piece, also used by the Germans under the name "6.5 cm Gebirgskanone 221(f)"
- Fiat 2000
- "Cannone da 65/17 modello 13" (in Italian). Regio Esercito. Retrieved 2011-05-05.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cannone da 65/17 modello 13.|
- Hogg, Ian; 2000; Twentieth Century Artillery; Amber Books, Ltd.; ISBN 1-58663-299-X
- (1915) Servizio del Cannone da 65 Mont. (1915 dated manual which discusses the operation, deployment, and crew drill for the Italian Cannone da 65/17 Modello 13, a 65mm mountain gun)