Canon EF 28mm lens
These lenses use the EF type mount that fits the Canon EOS line of cameras. When used on a camera body with an APS-C sensor, such as the Canon EOS 700D, it provides a narrower field of view, equivalent to a 45 mm lens mounted on a 35 mm frame body. With a 1.3x body such as the Canon EOS-1D Mark III, it provides a less narrow field of view, equivalent to a 36 mm lens mounted on a 35 mm frame body.
Three EF 28mm lenses have been sold by Canon:
- f/2.8, introduced April 1987 (now discontinued, replaced by f/2.8 IS USM)
- f/1.8 USM, introduced September 1995
- f/2.8 IS USM introduced June 2012
With the discontinuation of the EF 15mm Fisheye Lens in 2011, the EF 28mm f/2.8 lens became the oldest EOS lens in production before being itself discontinued after the release of the IS version. The IS version marked another milestone for Canon; that lens and the 24mm f/2.8 IS lens introduced at the same time were Canon's first image-stabilized prime lenses with a focal length less than 100 mm, as well as the company's first image-stabilized non-L primes.
Specifications of the EF 28mm lenses
|Attribute||f/1.8 USM||f/2.8||f/2.8 IS USM|
|Construction||9 groups / 10 elements||5 groups / 5 elements||7 groups / 9 elements|
|# of diaphragm blades||7||5||7 (circular)|
|Closest focusing distance||0.25 Meters||0.3 Meters||0.23 Meters|
|Horizontal viewing angle||65°|
|Diagonal viewing angle||75°|
|Vertical viewing angle||46°|
|Weight||.68 lb / 310g||.41 lb / 186g||.57 lb / 260g|
|Maximum diameter||2.9" / 74 mm||2.6" / 67 mm||2.69" / 68.4 mm|
|Length||2.2" / 56 mm||1.7" / 43 mm||2.02" / 51.5 mm|
|Filter diameter||58 mm||52 mm||58 mm|
|Release date||September 1995||April 1987||June 2012|
|Currently in production?||Yes||No||Yes|
- Canon Inc. "EF 28mm f/2.8". Canon Camera Museum. Retrieved May 12, 2017.
- Canon Inc. "EF28mm f/1.8 USM". Canon Camera Museum. Retrieved May 12, 2017.
- Canon Inc. "EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM". Canon Camera Museum. Retrieved May 12, 2017.
- "Canon Fisheye EF 15mm f/2.8 discontinued". Canon Fisheye EF 15mm f/2.8 discontinued. digitaljournalofphotography.blogspot.com. June 13, 2011. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- "Chronological list of EF/EF-S lenses since 1987". Chronological list of EF/EF-S lenses since 1987. dpreview.com. June 25, 2009. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- Carnathan, Bryan (October 3, 2012). "Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS Lens Review". The-Digital-Picture.com. Retrieved January 11, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to |