Canon EOS-1D C
|Type||Digital single-lens reflex camera|
|Sensor||36 mm × 24 mm CMOS (5184 x 3456 pixels)|
|Maximum resolution||18.1 Megapixels|
|Shutter||Electromechanical carbon fiber focal-plane shutter. Selectable electronic 1st curtain shutter.|
|Shutter speed range||1/8000 to 30 sec. (1/3-stop increments), bulb, X-sync at 1/250 sec.|
|ASA/ISO range||100–51,200 in 1/3 stops. Expandable to ISO 50, 102,400 and 204,800.|
|Exposure metering||100,000 pixel RGB sensor, 0–20 EV, 252-zones|
|Focus areas||61 autofocus points|
|Focus modes||One-shot, AI Servo, Manual|
|Continuous shooting||14 fps JPEG with mirror locked up. 12 fps RAW, JPEG, RAW+JPEG.|
|Rear LCD monitor||3.2 inch 1,040,000-dot LCD|
|Storage||Dual CompactFlash (Type I or Type II)|
|Battery||LP-E4N lithium-ion battery pack|
The Canon EOS-1D C is an 18.1-megapixel CMOS digital single-lens reflex camera (digital SLR) made by Canon in the Cinema EOS range. It shares many features with the Canon EOS 1D X. It was publicly announced on April 12, 2012, and was released in March 2013 with suggested retail price of US$15,000 (body only). The Canon EOS-1D C is stated to be the world's first 4K resolution DSLR camera.
The 1D C has a full frame sensor but uses an APS-H-sized portion to record 4K resolution (4096 x 2160 pixels) video at 24p and 25p without downscaling in Y'CbCr 4:2:2 format. The pixel size of the sensor is 6.95 μm and records 4K in 8-bit 4:2:2 using Motion JPEG. The other modes in 8-bit 4:2:0, using MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 IBP or ALL-I format. Uncompressed video over HDMI up to 1080p is also possible.
The Canon EOS-1D C can use more than sixty interchangeable Canon lenses, and features the Canon Log Gamma , by which an estimated preview of footage after grading helps the videographer with focusing and determining exposure whilst retaining maximum latitude in captured image data. An ISO setting range from 50 to 204,800 can be selected automatically or adjusted manually. The camera also allows the user to view the LCD screen while the HDMI port is in use on an external device and includes a headphone jack. The 1D C shares the same battery that is used in the EOS-1D X, the LP-E4N. Like all Canon DSLR full frame cameras, the 1D does not feature a built in flash. EOS Utility and Picture Style Editor software is included in the purchase of the product which enables the user to adjust several settings from a computer. Like the Canon EOS 5D Mark III and Canon EOS-1D X, the camera features 61 autofocus points, which are assisted by a 100,000-pixel metering sensor. The camera's viewfinder has an estimated magnification of .76x and 100% field of view. Remote control from computer is possible using the built in USB or Ethernet connector.
The camera can be operated remotely with a Canon WFT-E6A Wireless File Transmitter, allowing an external web enabled device to control the camera. The WFT-E6A Wireless File Transmitter unit also enables Bluetooth v2.1 +EDR, to embed GPS location data into files.
According to Canon's website, the EOS 1D C model comes equipped with:
- EOS-1D C Body
- Eyecup E.g.
- LP-E4N Battery Pack
- LC-E4N Battery Charger
- Cable Protector and Clamp
- Stereo AV Cable (AVC-DC400ST)
- USB Interface Cable (model IFC-200U)
- Wide Camera Strap L7
Canon issued a product advisory indicating that in some units, due to insufficient lubrication within the camera’s driving mechanism, "the autofocus searches but does not lock in on the subject" and "the image shown in the viewfinder is “blurry” or “not steady”". Any bodies sold with the issue have been recalled by Canon.
On February 1, 2015, Canon reduced the price of the Eos 1D C model by $4,000 from the current price of $11,999 to $7,999.
- "Canon U.S.A. Introduces EOS-1D C Digital SLR Camera Featuring 4K High-Resolution Video Capture" (Press release). Canon. April 12, 2012.
- "Canon EOS-1D C is the world's first 4K DSLR camera". Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- Schofield, Jem. "Canon EOS-1D C (4K DSLR Cinema Camera)". Canon. Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- Honig, Zach. "Canon Cinema EOS-1D C 4K camera hands-on". Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- "Canon EOS-1D C first digital SLR camera to meet EBU HD Tier 1 imaging requirements for broadcast production" (Press release). Canon Inc. 12 November 2013. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
- "Understanding the EOS C300's Canon Log Gamma". Retrieved 15 August 2015.
- "Canon EOS-1D C". Digital Photography Review. Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- "Canon EOS-1D C Preview". Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- Tomkins, Mike. "Canon announces EOS-1D C 4K camera and Cinema EOS C500". Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- "Canon EOS-1D C Camera (Body Only)". Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- "Features". Cinema EOS Camera. Canon. Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- "What's in the Box". EOS-1D C. Canon. Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- "Product Advisories". Retrieved 18 June 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Canon EOS-1D C.|
- EOS-1D C Cinema EOS Cameras
- Canon EOS-1D C first digital SLR camera to meet EBU HD Tier 1 imaging requirements for broadcast production November 12, 2013, Canon Inc.
|Canon Cinema EOS Camera timeline|
See also: Canon EOS Digital Cameras
|Canon EOS digital camera timeline (comparison)|
Image processor: Non-DIGIC DIGIC | DIGIC II | DIGIC III | DIGIC 4 | DIGIC 5 / 5+ | DIGIC 6 / 6+