Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III
|Sensor||36 mm × 24 mm CMOS|
|Maximum resolution||5,616 × 3,744 (21.1 million)|
|ASA/ISO range||100–1600 in 1/3 stops, plus 50, 3200 as option|
|Storage||CompactFlash (Type I or Type II) and/or Secure Digital|
|Focus modes||One-shot, AI Servo, Manual|
|Focus areas||45-point (19 high-precision cross-type AF points plus 26 Assist AF points)|
|Exposure metering||63 zone metering linked to AF points|
|Metering modes||63 area eval, partial, spot (center, AF point, multi-spot), center-weighted average|
|Shutter||Electronically controlled focal-plane|
|Shutter speed range||1/8000 to 30 sec. (1/3-stop increments), bulb, X-sync at 1/250 sec.|
|Continuous shooting||Approx. 5.0 frame/s|
|Rear LCD monitor||3.0 inch, 230,000 pixels|
|Battery||lithium-ion battery pack|
|Weight||1,205 g (42.5 oz) (body only)|
|Replaced||Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II|
|Successor||Canon EOS-1D X|
The EOS-1Ds Mark III is a digital SLR camera body by Canon designed for professional photographers. The Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III is successor to the EOS-1Ds Mark II and was announced in August 2007. The camera features a full-frame 21.1 megapixel CMOS sensor with 14 bit A/D converters for a total colour depth of 16,384 tones per pixel. It features a three-inch (76 mm) LCD screen, capable of "Live View," and dual DIGIC III processors allowing it to shoot at up to five frames per second.
The EOS-1Ds features many technologies first seen in the Canon EOS-1D Mark III, such as the 63-zone exposure metering, 19 cross-type auto focus system, a 3.0" LCD with Live View mode and EOS Integrated Cleaning System.
The EOS-1Ds Mark III features a 21-megapixel sensor. It has a higher pixel count than the 16.7 megapixel sensor seen in the Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II. The CMOS sensor incorporates a new pixel design with on-chip noise reduction circuitry. It can shoot in 3200 ISO when necessary. The 1Ds Mark III also features Highlight Tone Priority mode, which boosts the dynamic range for highlights.
- 5616 × 3744 (21.0 MP; 6.4 MB)
- 4992 × 3328 (16.6 MP; 5.2 MB)
- 4080 × 2720 (11.0 MP; 3.9 MB)
- 2784 × 1856 (5.2 MP; 2.2 MB)
- 5616 × 3744 (21.0 MP; 25.0 MB)
- 2784 × 1856 (5.2 MP; 14.5 MB)
The auto focus system includes 19 cross-type sensors at f/2.8, spread across the AF area. There are 26 more assist points. The camera features an AF-ON button.
LCD and live view
The back of the camera has a 3.0-inch (76 mm), 230K pixel LCD monitor, larger than the 2.0" display of the Mark II. Live View is a mode which uses this LCD as an electronic viewfinder, with optional grid overlay and histogram. When the camera is tethered to a computer this mode can be used to compose, adjust and capture images using software supplied with the camera.
The EOS-1Ds Mark III connectivity ports:
- USB 2.0
- Video Out
- N3 type wired remote
- PC sync flash terminal
- 802.11 wireless file transmitter (optional)
The collection of software packaged with the EOS-1Ds Mark III includes:
Canon occasionally releases firmware updates that fix bugs in the camera's firmware. The updates are available from the Canon website. As of August 2017, the latest update is version 1.2.3. from 2013
Canon has rated the shutter durability of the Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III and Canon EOS-1D Mark III at 300,000 cycles, significantly more than other EOS cameras. The 1Ds Mark III also has a new EOS Integrated Cleaning System that removes dust automatically. The camera is weather sealed against moisture. The camera beeps if the door is opened while images are being written.
As of 20 February 2008 there are reports of some cameras having misalignment between the image sensor and the viewfinder/prism assembly. Canon is reported to have acknowledged the problems and is correcting affected cameras.
- "Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III". Canon Camera Museum.
- "Canon EOS-1D X". Canon Camera Museum.
- Monday, 20 August 2007 04:13 GMT (20 August 2007). "Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III, previewed". Dpreview.com. Retrieved 30 December 2010.
- Alexandra Chang (19 October 2011). "Canon announces EOS-1D X DSLR camera for pros". Macworld. Retrieved 9 January 2012.
- Ryan, Philip (25 February 2008). "Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III". cnet.com. Retrieved 22 March 2008.
- Firmware Update Page from the Canon website
- "1Ds mark III sensor tilt / viewfinder misalignment". Northlight-images.co.uk. Retrieved 30 December 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III.|
- Let's Go Digital preview on the EOS-1Ds Mark III
- Photo.net review on the EOS-1Ds Mark III, written by Philip Greenspun
- dpreview.com review written by Simon Joinson
- The-Digital-Picture.com review by Bryan Carnathan
Image processor: Non-DIGIC | DIGIC | DIGIC II | DIGIC III | DIGIC 4 / 4+ | DIGIC 5 / 5+ | DIGIC 6 / 6+ | DIGIC 7 | DIGIC 8