Canon EOS 550D
|Type||Digital single-lens reflex|
|Sensor||CMOS APS-C 22.3 × 14.9 mm (1.6x conversion factor)|
|Maximum resolution||5,184 × 3,456 (17.9 recorded megapixels)|
|Lens||Canon EF lens mount, Canon EF-S lens mount|
|Flash||E-TTL II automatic built-in pop-up|
|Shutter speed range||1/4000 to 30 sec and bulb, 1/200 s X-sync|
|ASA/ISO range||ISO 100 to 6400 (expandable to 12800 with Canon Firmware, expandable to 24000 with Magic Lantern firmware)|
|Exposure metering||Full aperture TTL, 63-zone SPC|
|Exposure modes||Full Auto, Portrait, Landscape, Close-up, Sports, Night Portrait, No Flash, Program AE, Shutter-priority, Aperture-priority, Manual, Auto Depth-of-field, Movie|
|Metering modes||Evaluative, Spot (4% at center), Partial (9% at center), Center-weighted average|
|Focus areas||9 AF points, f/5.6 cross-type center (extra sensitivity at f/2.8)|
|Focus modes||AI Focus, One-Shot, AI Servo, Live View|
|Continuous shooting||3.7 frame/s for 34 JPEG or 6 raw frames|
|Viewfinder||Eye-level pentamirror SLR, 95% coverage, 0.87× magnification, and electronic (Live View)|
|Custom WB||Auto, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Flash, Custom|
|WB bracketing||± 3 stops for 3 frames|
|Rear LCD monitor||3 in 3:2 color TFT LCD, 1,040,000 dots|
|Storage||Secure Digital Card
Secure Digital High Capacity
Secure Digital Extended Capacity
|Battery||LP-E8 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery|
|Optional battery packs||BG-E8 grip|
|Dimensions||129 mm × 98 mm × 62 mm|
|Weight||530 g (19 oz) (including battery and card)|
The Canon EOS 550D is an 18.0 megapixel digital single-lens reflex camera, announced by Canon on 8 February 2010. It was made available starting 24 February 2010 and to US dealers starting early March. It is known as the EOS Kiss X4 in Japan, and as the EOS Rebel T2i in the Americas. It is part of Canon's entry/mid-level digital SLR camera series, and was placed by Canon as the successor model to the EOS 500D. It was superseded by the EOS 600D (Kiss X5/Rebel T3i), but remained in Canon's lineup until being discontinued in June 2012 with the announcement of the EOS 650D (Kiss X6i/Rebel T4i).
- 18.0 effective megapixel CMOS sensor
- 1080p HD video recording at 24p (23.976 fps), 25p (25 fps), and 30p (29.97 fps) with drop frame timing
- 720p HD video recording at 50p (50 Hz) and 60p (59.94 Hz)
- 480p ED video recording at 50p (50 Hz) and 60p (59.94 Hz)
- 3.5mm microphone jack for external microphones or recorders.
- PAL/NTSC video output
- DIGIC 4 image processor
- 14-bit analog to digital signal conversion
- 3.0-inch (76 mm) 3:2 aspect ratio LCD monitor
- Live view mode
- Built-in flash
- Wide, selectable, nine-point AF with centre cross-type sensor extra sensitive at f/2.8
- Four metering modes, using 63-zones: spot, partial, center-weighted average, and evaluative metering.
- Highlight tone priority
- EOS integrated cleaning system
- Internal monaural microphone
- sRGB and Adobe RGB colour spaces
- ISO 100–6,400 expandable to 12,800
- Continuous drive up to 3.7 frame/s (34 images (JPEG), 6 images (raw))
- SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory card file storage
- Raw and large JPEG simultaneous recording
- USB 2.0, HDMI control (CEC)
- LP-E8 battery
- Approximate weight 0.53 kg (1.2 lb) with battery and card
The 550D comes with following image processing and camera operating software: ZoomBrowser EX / ImageBrowser Image Processing, Digital Photo Professional, PhotoStitch, EOS Utility and Picture Style Editor.
The Canon 550D has available accessories such as:
- All EF and EF-S Lenses
- Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX
- Macro twin lite MT-24EX
- E-series Dioptic Adjustment Lenses
- Angle Finder C
- Semi hard case EH19L
- Interface Cable IFC-200U/500U
- Original Data Security Kit OSK-E3
- Canon EX-series Speedlites & ST-E2
- AC Adapter Kit (AC Adapter CA-PS700 & DC Coupler – DR-E8)
- Battery grip BG-E8
- Battery Magazine BGME8A/L
- Eyepiece Extender EPEX15II
- HDMI Cable HTC-100
- Remote Switch RS-60E3
- Wireless Remote Controller RC-6
In July 2010 Canon released firmware 1.0.8 that fixes a phenomenon in which the set aperture moves unexpectedly when shooting movies in manual exposure mode using some Canon lenses (such as macro lenses). 25 December 2010 Canon offered firmware version 1.0.9 which should fix tone jumps in some images, depending on the shooting scene and when shooting with the Auto Lighting Optimizer settings (low/standard/strong).
The British Journal of Photography was impressed by the 550D and said "the EOS 550D is a good match for the 7D at half the price". On Digital Photography Review it got overall score of 77%. For most of its product life, alternative cameras included the Nikon D5000, Nikon D3100, Canon 500D, Nikon D90, and Pentax K-7. Immediately before it was discontinued in 2012, the main competitors of the 550D were the Nikon D3200 and D5100 (respectively the replacements for the D3100 and D5000), Pentax K-r (replacement for the K-x), and the Sony Alpha 57, one of the company's SLT cameras. (The replacement for the Nikon D90, the D7000, is positioned upmarket from the 550D.)
- Marc Chacksfield (2010). "Canon EOS 550D officially announced". techradar.com. Retrieved 6 January 2011.
- "18MP, 1080p HD Movies, ISO 6400: Canon redefines the boundaries of the consumer DSLR with the EOS 550D". 8 February 2010. Retrieved 8 February 2010.
- "The new Canon Rebel T2i digital SLR takes aspiring photographers beyond the still with advanced video features". 8 February 2010. Retrieved 8 February 2010.
- "Canon Rebel T2I/Canon EOS Kiss Digital X4/Canon EOS 550D". techgenie.com. 2010. Retrieved 6 January 2011.
- Westlake, Andy (2012-06-08). "Canon EOS 650D (Rebel T4i) Hands-on Preview". Digital Photography Review. Retrieved 2012-06-08.
- "Canon Rebel T2i / EOS 550D Compared to Nikon D90 Side by Side". digitalreview.ca. Retrieved 15 December 2011.
- "canoneos550d (Rebel T2i) specifications". dpreview.com. Retrieved 6 January 2011.
- "EOS 550D" (PDF). canon.com.au. 2010. Retrieved 20 November 2011.
- "EOS-1D Mark IV and 550D firmware updates". cpn.canon-europe.com. Retrieved 2 January 2011.
- "EOS Digital". canon.com. Retrieved 2 January 2011.
- "Canon EOS 550D Firmware 1.0.9". photographyblog.com. Retrieved 6 January 2011.
- "Magic Lantern Firmware Wiki". Magiclantern.wikia.com. Retrieved 24 August 2011.
- David Kilpatrick (2010). "Canon 550D impresses". bjp-online.com. British Journal of Photography. Retrieved 6 January 2011.
- "Compared to...". dpreview.com. Retrieved 6 January 2011.
- "CANON EOS T2i/550D Review – Shoot to Kill?". digital-photography-school.com. Retrieved 6 January 2011.
- "Nikon D90, Canon EOS 550D & Pentax K7 Comparison Test Digital SLR Review". ephotozine.com. Retrieved 6 January 2011.
|Canon EOS Digital Camera timeline (comparison)|
Video: Uncompressed ||
Specialty models: C - Cinema EOS
Naming of entry-level models: Rebel - Americas | Kiss - Japan
See also: Canon EOS film cameras