Canon EOS 70D
|Type||Digital single-lens reflex camera|
|Lens||Interchangeable (EF / EF-S)|
|Image sensor type||CMOS|
|Image sensor size||22.5 × 15.0 mm (APS-C format)|
|Maximum resolution||5472 × 3648 pixels (4,1 μm pixel size) (20.2 effective megapixels)|
|ASA/ISO range||100 – 12800 in 1/3 stop increments (expandable to H: 25600)|
|Storage||SD/SDHC/SDXC card (UHS-I bus supported)|
|Focus modes||One Shot, AI Focus, AI Servo, Live View (FlexiZone - Multi, FlexiZone - Single, Face detection, Movie Servo), Manual|
|Focus areas||19 cross-type AF points|
|Exposure modes||Scene Intelligent Auto, Flash Off, Creative Auto, Special Scenes (Portrait, Landscape, Close-up, Sports, Night Portrait, Handheld Night Scene, HDR Backlight Control), Program AE, Shutter priority AE, Aperture priority AE, Manual exposure, Bulb exposure, Custom, Movie|
|Exposure metering||Full aperture TTL, 63 zones iFCL SPC|
|Metering modes||Evaluative, Partial, Spot, Centre-weighted Average|
|Flash||E-TTL II auto-pop-up built-in / External|
|Shutter speed range||1/8000 sec. - 30 sec. and Bulb; X-sync at 1/250 sec.|
|Continuous shooting||7.0 fps for 40 JPEG frames or for 15 RAW frames|
|Viewfinder||Eye-level pentaprism with 98% coverage and 0.95x magnification / LCD (Live View)|
|Image processor||DIGIC 5+|
|Custom WB||Auto, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten, White Fluorescent, Flash, °Kelvin (2500 – 10000°K in 100°K steps)|
|Rear LCD monitor||3.0" (7.7 cm) Clear View II colour TFT vari-angle LCD touchscreen with 1.040.000 dots|
|Battery||Li-Ion LP-E6 rechargeable (1800 mAh)|
|Optional battery packs||BG-E14 grip allows the use of 6 AA cells, one LP-E6 battery or two LP-E6 batteries|
|Weight||675 g (23.8 oz) (body only)|
|List price||US$1199/€1099/£1080 (body only)|
The Canon EOS 70D is a digital single-lens reflex camera by Canon publicly announced on July 2, 2013 with a suggested retail price of $1,199. As a part of the Canon EOS two-digit line, it is the successor to the EOS 60D and is the predecessor of the EOS 80D.
The EOS 70D is the launch platform for Canon's Dual Pixel CMOS Autofocus, which provides great improvement in focusing speed while in Live View, both for stills and video. At large apertures such as f/1.8, the 70D's Dual Pixel CMOS Autofocus provides a significant improvement in focus accuracy and consistency over conventional autofocus.
The current firmware is Ver. : 1.1.1
- Resolution increased to 20.2 MP CMOS Sensor (60D has 18.1 MP)
- DIGIC 5+ image processor (DIGIC 4 on 60D)
- 19-point AF System, all cross-type at f/5.6. Center point is high precision, double cross-type at f/2.8 or faster. (9 points, all cross-type on 60D)
- 98% viewfinder coverage, 0.95× magnification (96% coverage with same magnification for 60D)
- Faster continuous shooting at 7.0 fps (5.3 fps on the 60D)
- Built-in Wi-Fi (not on the 60D)
- 3.0″ vari-angle Clear View II LCD touchscreen (no touchscreen on the 60D)
- Maximum sensor sensitivity increased to ISO 12800 maximum (H: 25600 expanded) – compare to 6400 (H: 12800 expanded) on the 60D
- New Dual Pixel CMOS AF (only standard contrast-detection in live view on 60D)
- Allows the use of high precision phase-detection autofocus in live view, functional across 80% of the frame down to 0EV and f/11
- Full HD EOS Movies
- AF microadjustment (was introduced on the 50D, but not present on the 60D)
- The 70D allows microadjustment at both focal length extremes of the same zoom lens.
- HDR (not available in-camera on the 60D)
- Multi exposure Mode (not available on the 60D)
- Exposure bracketing of up to 7 frames (3 frames for the 60D)
- One SD/SDHC/SDXC card slot, supports the UHS-I bus (UHS-I support is an upgrade compared to the 60D)
- External 3.5mm stereo microphone jack
- Viewfinder level indicator. The indicator remains active in autofocus mode until the shutter is released. (In earlier Canon bodies with this feature, the indicator remains fully active only in manual focus mode; if in autofocus mode, the indicator disappears from view once the shutter button is half-pressed for autofocus.)
- "Canon announces EOS 70D mid-range SLR with 'Dual Pixel CMOS AF'". Digital Photography Review. July 2, 2013. Retrieved July 2, 2013.
- "Canon EOS 70D Specs (New Sensor), announced on July 2 !". Camera egg. 27 June 2013. Retrieved 27 June 2013.
- "The Canon EOS 70D is Hitting Stores". CanonRumors.com. August 21, 2013. Retrieved September 5, 2013.
- "DSLR EOS 80D Canon USA". CanonUSA. February 18, 2016. Retrieved May 14, 2016.
- "Canon reinvents video focusing with the fiercely fast EOS 70D (hands-on)". July 2, 2013.
- "Dual Pixel AF vs. Conventional AF accuracy". Digital Photography Review. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
We've also found that it offers clearly greater accuracy and consistency than the conventional AF system
- Westlake, Andy. "Canon EOS 70D Hands-on Preview". Digital Photography Review. Retrieved 2 August 2013.
- Westlake, Andy (October 2013). "Canon EOS 70D". DPReview. Retrieved 30 October 2013.
- Laing, Gordon (September 2013). "Canon EOS 70D review". CameraLabs.com. Retrieved September 2, 2013.
- Carnathan, Bryan (September 4, 2013). "Another Step Foward [sic] in Resolution of My HLDS Diagnosis". The-Digital-Picture.com. Retrieved September 5, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Canon EOS 70D.|
|Canon EOS digital camera timeline (comparison)|
Image processor: Non-DIGIC DIGIC | DIGIC II | DIGIC III | DIGIC 4 | DIGIC 5 / 5+ | DIGIC 6 / 6+ | DIGIC 7