The PowerShot products is a line of consumer and prosumer grade digital cameras, launched by Canon in 1996. The PowerShot line has been successful for Canon, and is one of the best-selling digital camera lines worldwide.
Free software from the Canon Hack Development Kit (CHDK) project allows nearly complete programmatic control of PowerShot cameras, enabling users to add features, up to and including BASIC and Lua scripting.
Some models of PowerShot cameras were affected by third-party CCD sensors with a design flaw, which caused them to fail and display severely distorted images. Canon offered to repair affected cameras free of charge.
- D series: waterproof, freeze- and shock-resistant
- E series: design-oriented budget cameras
- G series: flagship cameras with advanced features
- S/SD series (also known as PowerShot Digital ELPH, Digital IXUS and IXY Digital): "Performance and Style" ultra-compact point-and-shoot cameras
- S/SX series: ultra-zoom cameras
Note: "IS" and "HS" are not a series, rather they are a suffix used to denote "Image Stabilization" and "High Sensitivity"
- S series: originally a series of compact point-and-shoot cameras, currently a series of prosumer cameras slotting beneath the G series
- A series: "Easy and Fun" budget cameras ranging from point-and-shoot to prosumer cameras
- PowerShot 600 (1996)
- Pro series: semi-professional-level cameras slotting right beneath Canon's dSLRs, consisting of the Pro70 (1998), Pro90 IS (2001), and Pro1 (2004).
- TX series: hybrid camera/camcorders
- "PowerShot 600". Canon Camera Museum.
- "Canon Powershot 600". www.digicammuseum.com. Retrieved 2018-02-22.
- "Canon Camera Story (1992-1996) - From Analog SV Cameras to Digital Cameras". Canon. Archived from the original on July 14, 2011. Retrieved July 14, 2011. ()
- Slashdot, Hacking Canon Point-and-Shoot Cameras, Posted by kdawson on Tuesday May 06 2008, @04:56PM, from the now-don't-brick-it dept.
- "Service Notice: CCD Image Sensor Advisory". 2005-10-06. Retrieved 2010-02-01.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Canon PowerShot.|
|This camera-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|