Canon RF mount
Canon EOS RP with Canon RF mount visible
|Inner diameter||54 mm|
The Canon RF mount is an interchangeable-lens mount developed by Canon for its full-frame mirrorless interchangeable-lens cameras, and featured first by the EOS R, followed by the EOS RP. The RF mount was announced in September 2018.
Canon full-frame cameras have used the EF lens mount since 1987. In comparison with that mount, the RF mount's inner diameter is the same at 54 mm. The RF mount's flange focal distance at 20 mm is much shorter than that of the Canon EF and EF-S mounts at 44 mm. The EF-M mount has a flange focal distance of 18 mm.
- Mount Adapter EF-EOS R
- Control Ring Mount Adapter EF-EOS R – the Mount Adapter EF-EOS R with a lens control ring
- Drop-In Filter Mount Adapter EF-EOS R – the Mount Adapter EF-EOS R with the ability to use drop-in filters, either a variable neutral density (V-ND) filter or circular polarising (C-PL) filter, and a clear (CL) filter, to be released in 2019
The EOS R is a 30 megapixel (6720 × 4480) full-frame camera. If an EF-EOS R Mount Adapter is used with it to mount an EF-S lens, the camera will function as an 11.6 megapixel (4176 × 2784) crop camera.
At the time Canon announced its first R-series body, it announced four new RF-mount lenses:
- Canon RF 24–105 mm f/4 L IS USM
- Canon RF 28–70 mm f/2 L USM
- Canon RF 50 mm f/1.2 L USM
- Canon RF 35 mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro
In conjunction with the February 2019 announcement of the entry-level full-frame EOS RP, Canon announced that six additional lenses would be released by the end of that year, although it did not indicate release dates for any of them:
- Canon RF 85 mm f/1.2L USM
- Canon RF 85 mm f/1.2L USM DS — Same as the above, except includes "defocus smoothing" technology intended to improve bokeh. According to Canon, the effect is similar to that of an apodization filter, but achieved through special lens coatings instead of a filter.
- Canon RF 24–70 mm f/2.8L IS USM
- Canon RF 15–35 mm f/2.8L IS USM
- Canon RF 70–200 mm f/2.8L IS USM
- Canon RF 24–240 mm f/4–6.3 IS USM
RF-mount lenses are not backwards compatible with EF, EF-S or EF-M mount camera bodies.
Canon RF-mount lenses
|Focal length||Aperture range||Introduced||Macro||USM||STM||IS||L-Series||DO||Filter
|RF 15–35 mm f/2.8L IS USM||f/2.8||2019||No||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||No||82 mm||88.5 mm||126.8 mm||840 g|||
|RF 24–70 mm f/2.8L IS USM||f/2.8||2019||No||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||No||82 mm||88.5 mm||125.7 mm||900 g|||
|RF 24–240 mm f/4–6.3 IS USM||f/4–6.3||2019||No||Yes||No||Yes||No||No||72 mm||80.4 mm||122.5 mm||750 g|||
|RF 24–105 mm f/4L IS USM||f/4||2018||No||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||No||77 mm||83.5 mm||107.3 mm||700 g|||
|RF 28–70 mm f/2L USM||f/2||2018||No||Yes||No||No||Yes||No||95 mm||103.8 mm||139.8 mm||1,430 g|||
|RF 35 mm f/1.8 MACRO IS STM||f/1.8||2018||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||No||No||52 mm||74.4 mm||62.8 mm||305 g|||
|RF 50 mm f/1.2L USM||f/1.2||2018||No||Yes||No||No||Yes||No||77 mm||89.8 mm||108 mm||950 g|||
|RF 85 mm f/1.2L USM||f/1.2||2019||No||Yes||No||No||Yes||No||82 mm||103.2 mm||117.3 mm||1,195 g|||
- Sparrow, Mark. "Canon Launches New EOS R Mirrorless DSLR Camera Hot On The Heels Of Nikon's Z Series". Forbes. Retrieved 2018-09-05.
- "Canon launches new full frame camera and lens line-up as part of the revolutionary, new EOS R system - Canon Press Centre". www.canon.co.uk. Retrieved 2018-09-05.
- "Everything you need to know about Canon's EOS R mirrorless camera". Engadget. Retrieved 2018-09-05.
- "Canon EOS R full-frame mirrorless and more expected Sept. 5, reportedly". CNET. 31 August 2018. Retrieved 2018-09-05.
- "Canon unveils new full-frame mirrorless camera, the EOS R". TechRadar. Retrieved 2018-09-05.
- "Canon's full-frame mirrorless EOS R is now official". CNET. 5 September 2018. Retrieved 2018-09-05.
- "Four RF-mount lenses kick off Canon's new full-frame mirrorless system". Digital Photography Review. Retrieved 2018-09-05.
- "Canon Unveils the EOS R, Its First Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera". PetaPixel. 5 September 2018. Retrieved 2018-09-05.
- "Three EF-to-RF adapters available for EOS R". Digital Photography Review. Retrieved 2018-09-05.
- "Canon EOS R full-frame mirrorless camera announced". The Verge. Retrieved 2018-09-05.
- Keller, Jeff (2019-02-09). "Canon developing six new RF lenses, including ultra-compact 70-200 F2.8". Digital Photography Review. Retrieved 2019-02-17.
- Etchells, Dave (2019-02-13). "Juicy technical tidbits on the Canon EOS RP - IR Interview/Q&A". Imaging Resource. Retrieved 2019-02-17.
- "New Canon RF Mount Lenses Bring Optical Excellence to Pro and Advanced Amateur Photographers". usa.canon.com. Retrieved 2019-09-01.
- "Alerting All Wanderlust Photographers, Canon Announces Its First RF Telephoto Zoom Lens, The RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM". Retrieved 2019-07-09.
- Deutschland, Canon. "Technische Daten & Funktionem für das RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM Objektiv". www.canon.de (in German). Retrieved 2019-07-09.
- "Canon RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM". Retrieved 2019-02-07.
- "Canon RF 28-70mm f/2L USM". Retrieved 2019-02-07.
- "Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 IS Macro STM". Retrieved 2019-02-07.
- "Canon RF 50mm f/1.2L USM". Retrieved 2019-02-07.
- "RF 85mm F1.2 L USM". Retrieved 2019-05-09.
Image processor: Non-DIGIC | DIGIC | DIGIC II | DIGIC III | DIGIC 4 / 4+ | DIGIC 5 / 5+ | DIGIC 6 / 6+ | DIGIC 7 | DIGIC 8
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Canon RF lenses.|